Discuss Bonding Metal Railing in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm taking swa out of the shed and fitting it along a metal fence with metal fixing band. Swa goes into a wiska box then flex from the box to a light that's bolted to the metal fence. Circuit is protected by rcd.

Does the fence need to be bonded at all? I'm guessing it's an extraneous metal part, 2.5mm unprotected / 4mm protected.

Is it enough to go from the swa banjo to the fence with a bit of 6mm? Or from the 1.5mm of the lighting circuit to the fence with a piece of 4mm?

What would you do? Many thanks if you can help.

Here's a link that might help you decide;

if the (Metal) light is bolted to the fence, then the fence is earthed from the light. question then is whether it's still extraneous or an exposed conductive part of the installation.

Considering the SWa cable is going on the fence on using metal cleats, the begging question are you using the SWa cable has a earth or using the conductors has a earth in side. I would opp for plastic ty wraps.

Considering the SWa cable is going on the fence on using metal cleats, the begging question are you using the SWa cable has a earth or using the conductors has a earth in side. I would opp for plastic ty wraps.

Hi, thanks for the help everyone. I appreciate it. I'm using 3 core 1.5mm swa with the earth inside. i dont mind doing a discrete lead from the banjo to the fence but i wouldn't want to have a lot of green / yellow showing.

the fence is mounted on bricks too so i'm not sure the fence would be earthed to ground potential through the bricks.

No the fence doesn’t need bonding.
How does the fence introduce an earth potential and enter the electrical installation in the building?
How do you create a bonding zone when your stood directly outside on the ground touching a fence?
[automerge]1586375970[/automerge]
if the (Metal) light is bolted to the fence, then the fence is earthed from the light. question then is whether it's still extraneous or an exposed conductive part of the installation.
It’s neither, probably not a good idea to have it connected to earth via the luminaire either.

The armour should still be bonded/earthed even if using a core within the cable as the circuit cpc.

Reply to Bonding Metal Railing in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net