Discuss Both sockets in one bedroom are spurs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Adawkins1

DIY
Reaction score
I've noticed that both sockets in one of my bedrooms are spurs, they both have just the one cable going into them. I checked the nearest socket in the bedroom next door but that only has two cables going into it, so they can't be feeding off that? Anyway to tell if these two sockets are safe and where they are spurred from?

Cheers

Under the floorboards perhaps? In an older property, sometimes you find a "spider" ring, many/most/all sockets are spurs from junction boxes. A more modern property, could be from maintenance-free junction boxes (Wago etc).

Finding spurred socket outlets source points is not usually an easy task unfortunately.

However the fact that there is only one cable going in doesn't lead to any thoughts on whether it is safe or not. It is perfectly acceptable, but equally if someone has done the work badly it may be a problem.

If you do have concerns, then get a periodic inspection done, that would examine the whole installation, or just the bits you are concerned about.

Under the floorboards perhaps? In an older property, sometimes you find a "spider" ring, many/most/all sockets are spurs from junction boxes. A more modern property, could be from maintenance-free junction boxes (Wago etc).
One sock goes downstairs towards the consumer unit, not sure about the other one yet. We had an EICR before we moved in and nothing major came back from that. Just seemed weird that the room didn't have a socket which was an original

Also, if it is a "spider ring", then why is the other bedroom on different ring? As those sockets have two cables going into them.

Also, if it is a "spider ring", then why is the other bedroom on different ring? As those sockets have two cables going into them.
It is usually better to split the socket circuits across different ring circuits, or/and radials so if a breaker trips, you don't lose everything.

The electrician(s) could fit rings in some areas, radials in others, spur off one ring, or another.

Whatever is considered most suitable for that particular location and use

It is usually better to split the socket circuits across different ring circuits, or/and radials so if a breaker trips, you don't lose everything.

The electrician(s) could fit rings in some areas, radials in others, spur off one ring, or another.

Whatever is considered most suitable for that particular location and use
That makes sense but all the sockets are on one breaker on the consumer unit. Not sure if that makes a difference. Thanks Julie!

Reply to Both sockets in one bedroom are spurs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net