Discuss Bounce back business loans in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

25% of previous years turnover....
I am not sure if it has to be the previous year, as our current business only started mid-2019 so has no previous year's accounts, etc., but we do have a big contract signed for when we can get going.

But for general guidance it is 25% of turnover which hopefully if OK for most existing businesses if 2019 was a good year.

I am not sure if it has to be the previous year, as our current business only started mid-2019 so has no previous year's accounts, etc., but we do have a big contract signed for when we can get going.

But for general guidance it is 25% of turnover which hopefully if OK for most existing businesses if 2019 was a good year.
I think for the purpose of simplicity the previous year is used but obviously it’s up to the bank if they feel you are a safe bet then all good ?

...obviously it’s up to the bank if they feel you are a safe bet...
Yes, that is why I was amazed! :)
[automerge]1589616577[/automerge]
Just wondering who has got the loan so far, and what generally have you used it for? A new van is one thing discussed, but for many folk it will simply be living money just now.

Just wondering who has got the loan so far, and what generally have you used it for? A new van is one thing discussed, but for many folk it will simply be living money just now.
Only applied this morning, new van, wages, training, advertising anything you want really....

As expected , after paying myself which has been well overdue and suppliers all my remaining money has gone and the only money left in the bank is the loan. If i did not get the loan i simply would not be able to pay myself for a while to keep a positive working capital. Pretty relieved really.
Still not optimistic on how credit is going to be managed by wholesalers and suppliers in general. I still have a Barclaycard which gives some leeway but the credit limit is not huge

Still not optimistic on how credit is going to be managed by wholesalers and suppliers in general. I still have a Barclaycard which gives some leeway but the credit limit is not huge
Getting that covered with the BBB loan ought to result in no problems. Also you are not going to be unusual in that case, so probably no future issues with credit ratings.

At least, we can all hope.

I'm not in quite the same business, but the basic financial rules are the same as professional sparks like yourself. It won't be easy for anyone in the near future, which is why the gov has underwritten the BBB so make the most of it. It is one of the very few things they have done that seems to be competent, and ultimately the treasury understands that keeping businesses afloat is going to keep tax revenues in the years to come so the risk of the BBB is probably well worth it on a national level.

Well our application went in just after lunch time today and an email arrived from the bank at 6pm to say the money had arrived in the account.

I'm astonished that anything could be done that quickly and efficiently!

"You may not use your loan to finance the purchase or hire of fixed assets, other than to replace existing assets with equivalent assets"

So for folk looking for a replacement van that is fine, but if you want some sharks with attached lasers and don't already have any in your volcanic lair, you are out of luck. Damn!

Will they be checking though, and if so, how ?

Will they be checking though, and if so, how ?
Personally I doubt it unless there is some other reason to investigate the business activities (e.g. fraud investigation, bankruptcy proceedings, etc) but obviously it would be wise to sit down and plan what you are going to use the money for and check it is at least in the spirit of the terms (so it has to be for the business long-term interests, not to pay a big dividend, etc).

I think the main no-no is to use it to pay off other debts without prior agreement (in particular to replace debt you are personally liable for with one gov-backed). Some info was posted here:

What you can do is use the loan to pay your salary, and income otherwise used to pay you could then buy a new van for your business (or shark with laser, as needed).

Personally I doubt it unless there is some other reason to investigate the business activities (e.g. fraud investigation, bankruptcy proceedings, etc) but obviously it would be wise to sit down and plan what you are going to use the money for and check it is at least in the spirit of the terms (so it has to be for the business long-term interests, not to pay a big dividend, etc).

I think the main no-no is to use it to pay off other debts without prior agreement (in particular to replace debt you are personally liable for with one gov-backed). Some info was posted here:

What you can do is use the loan to pay your salary, and income otherwise used to pay you could then buy a new van for your business (or shark with laser, as needed).

Thanks I'll give all the info a read before pestering my bank.
As you say you could pay yourself wages into a buffer account and then stock your koi pond with ill tempered mutated sea bass as you see fit.

Thanks I'll give all the info a read before pestering my bank.
As you say you could pay yourself wages into a buffer account and then stock your koi pond with ill tempered mutated sea bass as you see fit.
It’s really simple @Andy78, takes 10 mins on the directgov site which will show you all available lenders, easier if you own bank is on the list, also easier if you have a dedicated business account, money takes a matter of days.....as @Leesparkykent pointed out at the beginning just take it and graft with it and give it back with in the year interest free.....I know people that have paid up they van finance with it (lower rates of interest).....I also know someone that took £50k and has put it in premium bonds for the year ?

I don't think that's allowed as you have to declare the money won't be used for investments, but I guess that comes down to whether you get caught or not.
Didn’t say it was legal mate.....I just know a lot of people that couldn’t care less about that sort of thing ?......

Doesn't this dosh appear in your accounts, you have to submit HMRC? Premium Bonds and accrued interest (£40 a month) would appear somewhere.

Reply to Bounce back business loans in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock