Discuss Brexit and your business in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Lou

Staff member
Admin
Esteemed
Reaction score
We don't want to discuss what you voted for and who likes who the best - but for discussing how your think your business could be affected by Brexit then use this thread.

So

How do you think your business will be affected by Brexit? Would it be better to leave or stay? Has your business already been affected?

We are launching a business now, so this is particularly interesting for us. Brexit is just taking soo long, that's the main problem. I think the flexible and fast moving businesses will adapt and survive.
Before the campaign £/$ was at 1.5. Now it's at 1.2. So we've been buying things dearer for a few years now.

The way things are going today, the 31st October date will pass, it’ll get delayed again, and if it goes to a second vote, I think it’ll be cancelled.

3 or 4 years of wasted time,

My business, as small as it is will be ok....

I’m more worried in case jimmy krankie gets her way and Scotland goes independent.
I have to drive to England to get cheaper alcohol just now..... will that stop? Will I need my passport, will I need to declare it and prove it’s all for my own consumption?

slightlyofftrack, but what i can't understand is the Irish border thing. wasn't a problem when we were in the EU and they weren't. why is it now?

I don't understand that part either! In fact I have given up trying to understand what is going on! Especially after all the votes over the past couple of days!

I don't understand that part either
The EU wants Britain to keep to the terms of the Good Friday Agreement.
One of the terms of the Good Friday Agreement is that there be no hard border between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.
In order to avoid a hard border, there needs to be no significant economic reason to smuggle goods between the two areas.
This means that the two areas need to have the same tariffs, standards for products and so on.
In other words, Northern Ireland needs to be part of the EU Customs Union.
The British government’s position is such that they can’t agree to any permanent situation: they’ve ruled out the entire UK being in the Customs Union, DUP opposition means they can’t accept Northern Ireland being in the Customs Union without the rest of the UK, and Northern Ireland not being in the Customs Union would require a hard border.
The backstop is a pretense: Northern Ireland will be in the Customs Union ‘temporarily’, ‘if no other solution can be found’. Both parties know that there is no other solution, but it allows the British government to say that they don’t like what’s happening either, and that it’s just a temporary situation while we negotiate something better.
Unfortunately Brexiteers have realized that it’s a trick, but have blamed the wrong side: they tend to characterize the backstop as the EU tricking Britain into staying in the Customs Union.
The EU want what they want because
i) the Republic of Ireland wants it, and if the EU failed to support the Republic of Ireland against Britain, Poland (for example) might wonder what would happen if it had a dispute with Russia. Membership of the EU would therefore become far less attractive.
ii) The Good Friday Agreement was a demonstration of the EU’s ability to bring peace to Europe.
iii) They probably would rather not have the Troubles come back.

SO AT THE END OF THE DAY EU DOES NOT WANT THE IRISH PEAPLE THROWING TATTYS AT EACH OTHER ,LOL.

Last edited:
all smoke and mirrors. the crux of the matter is that the eu are pi$$ed off about losing one of their biggest financial milk cows and a spitting dummies out faster than a AK47.

Back on track with the thread.

My business will not be significantly affected.

I accept some businesses will be affected for the worse and others for the better.

It will be the import and export businesses that will be affected.

Imported electrical goods from Europe may cost more.

Imported food may cost more. If this is the case then our farmers can start to sell there produce on a more level playing field.

Over all I think we will as a country initially be slightly worse off. Long term better of.
A ten year settling in period in my humble opinion.

agree in part. but trade with USA, Australia, China, should more than make up for losing out on a bit of eu trade. sod the french. we don't want their reject wines, onions and frogs legs. sod the germans, we've too many bmws and audis anyway. the spanish can go fish their own waters instead of raping ours. sooner we get out, deal or no deal, the better for us.

You aren't derailing it @Midwest , it is a thread about the effects of Brexit for you and your job not what everyone voted for.

I think it will go on for years and years.

I’ve been doing a site over the last 2 years....They have planning for 500 light commercial/industrial units. We’ve done roughly 200 so far in blocks of roughly 50 and I’m just finishing a phase of 50 which should be completed in about a week. Normally they would already be cracking on with the ground works for the next lot but they’ve stopped and laid all their subbies off. I’m good pals with the owner and he’s said that they aren’t doing anything until the new year as they want to get brexit out the way to see how it pans out. Tbh i think it’s a sensible move....If I was in his shoes I would also be waiting rather than chucking 3 million quid at something whilst we are in limbo.

What has been damaging so far is the uncertainty factor - people not knowing if they will still have jobs, or UK based jobs, therefore being reluctant to commit to significant purchasing decisions such as moving home, getting married, taking on a larger mortgage, etc.

Another issue has been supplier price increases "because of Brexit", which started to appear as early as the summer of 2016.

My business is reliant on the tourism industry one way or another.

Tourists will keep coming whatever the outcome and the weak pound probably doesn't do us any harm either in that respect.

Like littlespark I was much more worried about the independence referendum.

Frankly I just wish the pillocks we voted in to parliament could agree on a way forward and get on with it.

At the moment they can't even agree on what time of day it is.

Leave or remain? Who cares!! just do it!!

Not affecting my business at all and not expecting it to. Economy has supposed to have slowed down, but not for me, i need a holiday.
Cannot see Brexit affecting business in any meaningful way, either way, however the uncertainty certainly is affecting some businesses, no question.
Its a mess and i feel i want my money back from the 650 MPs costing me £100,000 a pop. its outrageous

Not effecting my buisness, I'm pretty busy at the moment and have projects that will last me well into next summer.
I do think Brexit is having an effect on some though, I think its more the fact that people are cautious, and are hesitant to make decisions until Brexit is over.
In my area lots of smaller trades have been busy as people tend to be extending rather than moving.
Imo we have lots of issues in the UK we either leave or forget brexit altogether. 3 years or arguing, campaigning and blocking is what I believe is causing the most damage, if MPs have the power and are just going to block everything all the time then its just wasting our money, I dread to think how much money has been wasted.

This could affect any of us.
Don’t believe you are isolated because you only do domestic etc.

If it turns out bad, there will be a drop in confidence for companies and employers who will buy less, hire fewer people etc.
We will all be directly or indirectly affected.

but, referring to my previous post. we joined the eu long before ROI did. there was no problem with the border then, with ids being in and ROI out. so why is there so much fuss about it now. it's just that we will be out, while ROI are still in. just a role reversal.

but, referring to my previous post. we joined the eu long before ROI did. there was no problem with the border then, with ids being in and ROI out. so why is there so much fuss about it now. it's just that we will be out, while ROI are still in. just a role reversal.
They joined at the same time as the UK Tel, and there was a border and there was a problem with it.

The whole Irish Border thing is clearly a ruse... to stop us leaving the EU too easily. You only have to cross the external EU border in a few places to realise that although there is officially a 'check' or a 'search' or a passport desk... usually this never happens and you are just waved through.

The whole Irish Border thing is clearly a ruse... to stop us leaving the EU too easily. You only have to cross the external EU border in a few places to realise that although there is officially a 'check' or a 'search' or a passport desk... usually this never happens and you are just waved through.
You maybe waved through Zerax but lorries are not.

Even between Norway and Sweden or Switzerland and the several EU countries it borders there is border infrastructure. This is what they want to avoid in Ireland.

Reply to Brexit and your business in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net