Discuss Brexit fallout in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

intelligent discussions --- americans --- you must be joking. :44:

Disagree. Whilst the more politically savvy, might have seen through either camps sandbagging or indeed genuinely knew the pros & cons for each side, there are a lot of people who didn't know what to make of the arguments either way, I include myself there.

In the end, I suppose most made an educated guess on which way to vote. The way each person came to that decision is debateable. But I think, some would of trusted the government, some just want out of EU full stop, economical consideration would of swayed either way, mitigating migrating was another pull and just 'trusting' a politician would have been another. Think that's how most GE's are won, i.e. Cameron v Miliband, Thatcher v Callaghan.

Therefore I think Boris did influence a lot of voters, he certainly attracted positive comments here from some members in the Brexit vote thread.

Anyhow, he's gone now, but I suspect he might turn up like a bad penny in a few months time posturing for some position, even might make another leadership bid in a few years time, if things go well for us outside the EU. Can hear it now 'I was the one that got us out of the EU'. Least Gove is open about his political manoeuvrings.

:shades_smile:

I think to compare the outcome of a referendum to that of a general election is like comparing chalk and cheese. What you can expect from a general election is difficult to research as you are comparing a load of promises with no substance that soon turn into lies, with the referendum there was the EU's past and present to review and also the future agendas of the few who call the shots within the EU who now appear more than ever determined to destroy the UK for going against them.

To be honest I think Cameron did more for the leave campaign than Boris & co did as neither side fought with good coherent arguments all the debates where brought down to two points while ignoring the bigger picture

I don't think you needed to be politically savvy to see through the sandbagging it all started with Cameron's so called "reform" that was hardly mentioned during the campaign apart from the legal opinions as to whether it would stand or fall if we chose to remain couple that with Turkey's will they won't they be members of the EU anytime soon and Cameron's less than convincing responses. The remain campaign supporters that popped up at various times made comments that would make you think the EU was a massive pot of money dishing out big grants to UK organisations on an almost daily basis and research, scientific development and other supported organisations would cease to exist if we left. On the other side you had the confusion of how much do we really pay the EU and I don't even think the EU itself knows that one.

The whole result was really down to how you gathered the information to make that informed or not so informed decision on which way to vote as non of the mainstream debates really delivered answers

The EU need to be careful ... if they decide to play hard ball and punish the UK, they will more than likely plunge the EU into recession..... which will be unhelpful to ALL of Europe, and potentially the world.

The EU need to be careful ... if they decide to play hard ball and punish the UK, they will more than likely plunge the EU into recession..... which will be unhelpful to ALL of Europe, and potentially the world.

if they do, we would retaliate ( they sell more to us than we sell to them ). after a couple of years, the yanks might decide to help out. :aureola:

if they do, we would retaliate ( they sell more to us than we sell to them ). after a couple of years, the yanks might decide to help out. :aureola:

With Merkel at the helm, I can't see this happening, she has an election next year and the UK accounting for 20% of their car production the last thing she wants is VW, Audi and BMW all on 4 day weeks

me neither. just needs the germans to keep the froggies in line. then again, we buy a lot of renaults, peugeots, and citroens. god know why.

Last edited:
The EU was all about protectionism for the French farmers..... and whilst this may seen sensible, having high trade tariffs on African food means these poor countries are priced out of selling their produce to the EU.... so their peoples come here instead.

Better to buy their produce and help their countries to develop and flourish.

The link you provide Mid' is an article from the New York Times, now in the light that the majority of Americans don't actually understand our relationship with the EU and what has happened with our Brexit then with all respect I'll take the article with a pich of salt, even the President who butt licked Cameron as a favour didn't understand how we and the EU worked, therefore there input and comments have little bearing and all you need to do to clarify this is watch some Fox news snippets as apparently we have just left the UN.... its cringe worthy watching them trying to have intelligent discussions on American TV when some guests think we have left Europe too, let them stick to their own issues like that muppet Trump.
I just plucked that from a whole load of them. Hopefully, by the time Labour & Tories have picked a new leader, the rest of the world will be more worried by the forthcoming US Presidential election.

How do I feel now after Brexit, frustrated, annoyed, angry all spring to mind as our Machiavellian self serving, egotistical politicians do everything they can to keep us in the EU even after the leave vote. I feel betrayed by the conservative led leave EU campaign with Boris being shafted and obvious positioning of various politicians looking to get the best out of the situation for themselves with no regard for public opinion, talk of not invoking Article 50 until 2017 from Gove and May being backed to replace Cameron, what a shambles.
Cameron promised to honour a leave vote and invoke Article 50 but as usual from our leading politicians this was another lie, by resigning he has created a power struggle within the conservative party which is causing a distraction and the agenda they should really be concentrating on is being pushed back and delayed giving the pro remain time to regroup and install May as prime minister which in my opinion would be a disaster for the Brexit negotiations.

Meanwhile there are countries queuing up to do trade deals with the UK and even the EU are softening their stance on the Brexit negotiations.

I am still optimistic for our future if only the clowns at Westminster can get their act together and get the deal done.

I think to compare the outcome of a referendum to that of a general election is like comparing chalk and cheese.

The whole result was really down to how you gathered the information to make that informed or not so informed decision on which way to vote as non of the mainstream debates really delivered answers

Think too much deference is given to the general publics understanding of politics, me included. Whilst I agree the debate and ideals between a GE & the simple question asked in the referendum, you can guarantee the deliberation process will be the same. Unless your Professor of Politics at the Astute University for Cunning, your chosen method will enviably be the same. From listening to the debates and making the logical judgement, all the way down to favourite coloured shirts or tokens in the tipping hat.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Where's Walley.

Cameron promised to honour a leave vote and invoke Article 50 but as usual from our leading politicians this was another lie, by resigning he has created a power struggle within the conservative party which is causing a distraction and the agenda they should really be concentrating on is being pushed back and delayed giving the pro remain time to regroup and install May as prime minister which in my opinion would be a disaster for the Brexit negotiations.

I don't blame him for leaving someone else to conduct the negotiations. He campaigned to remain, and we voted to leave. If he conducted the negotiations, whatever the outcome, he would of been accused of fudging it.

PS, don't know what happened to the quote?

Last edited by a moderator:
The future ones too. Good ones are few and far between.

Agree 100%

For me MP's need to have lived in the Constituency for a minimum of 10 years and have at least 20 years work experience in the private sector.

I would go as far as to say, that existing MP's that don't meet the above criteria, should not be allowed to stand again.

There are far too many, in all parties, with little or no real experience of how we all live.

We have always had local MPs around our area , in the Labour Party anyway. (I can't vouch for the others)
I have to be honest though , I have never voted for any of them.
I have never had any confidence in them.

Agree 100%

For me MP's need to have lived in the Constituency for a minimum of 10 years and have at least 20 years work experience in the private sector.

I would go as far as to say, that existing MP's that don't meet the above criteria, should not be allowed to stand again.

There are far too many, in all parties, with little or no real experience of how we all live.
Think Screaming Lord Sutch might have qualified then. :)

Reply to Brexit fallout in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock