Discuss Brexit. We’re out! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I never believed it would be easy exiting europe.
Resistance by Europe and our own parliament was inevitable. They would try to stop it or block it or be as aukward as possible Because deep down they do not believe in democracy.

after all europe is an un elected body so democracy is the last thing they want.

Look what happened when democracy raised its ugly head. We voted leave.
Paignton Pete, why do you say Europe is an unelected body?. I could have sworn we voted, along with the other EU Nations to elect euro MP's every 4 or 5 years.
Beaurocratic quite possibly but unelected no.

Source for that ‘fact’?

Or is it a prediction dreamt up some pro eu quango?

When it comes to economic bad news Brexit will be treated like Covid is to medical bad news.

There are too many vested interests in the media, politics and academia to let Brexit even break even, let alone succeed.

Whinging lefties can't take losing.

Erasmus was never really threatened Dave, in fact Johnson said himself that we would not come out of Erasmus, he lied.
It’s the same as all the Brexit 'benefits’ not real. Yes of course students can still study in European universities, but it’s now not a right and requires visas and other hoops to jump through. Also they have obviously lost the EU erasmus funding.
Also the argument you make re still being able to study in Europe was always the case with American, Australian and other countries universities.

Sad to say, our students have missed out massively, it's a real shame. I know you disagree with this, we'll have to see how Turing turns out, hopefully well.
Of course again you are right that we were able to study in other nations as part of Erasmus but that was simply a small handful outside of the European Block and not any of the major Nations like Australia, America, Canada etc, Turin allows students to choose their preference globally and then apply for the grant, Erasmus was restricted to mainly European countries and a few neighboring ones with several outside of this like Israel and Egypt.
Erasmus only gave 15,000 in total opportunities and that is the total for all the EU members, Turin allows 35,000 UK students with larger grants of up to £10,000 not the 4k cap of Erasmus.
On the face of it no matter how you look at it, Turin is vastly better and saves 200million for the UK, it doesn't limit where you can study and it allows a greater grant for a vastly larger group.
Unless Turin somehow collapses then I see no really strong argument against it as a comparison.

On your other point, Yes Boris said we wouldn't leave Erasmus but the EU played dirty and was trying to force us to pay huge amounts to access research funds which included erasmus access, they basically were asking us to commit billions over several yrs or they will block access, Boris however simply said fine, we will start our own schemes and research funds... within days the media were chomping on how students were going to lose out here and it's a disaster .... seems another scaremongering tactic that failed and in reality Brexit allowed us to create a better system.

PS if we are on good terms with other nations then a visa is a simple application, not a biggy that it is often made out to be, so what if we now need a visa, we have used the visa system successfully globally for decades, Please expand on all these other hoops we have to leap through now, I constantly here about them but no one seems to be able to tell me what they are.

We're clever than them anyway. The UK invented or discovered, Steam engine, Jet engine, Antibiotics, TV, even the mobile phone apparently. Not sure the last one was such a good thing, mind.

only partial with the jet engine. Germany was first to have a jet aircraft operational. the Arado (think 238 was it's designation)., followed by the Me262.

only partial with the jet engine. Germany was first to have a jet aircraft operational. the Arado (think 238 was it's designation)., followed by the Me262.
Wasn’t it Labour that sold our jet engine technology to the Russians back in the 50’s?

When the excavations around the Barbican where under way they discovered an infrastructure of copper lands stretching into the far reaches of the London area, the scientist surmised that this was a sophisticated communications network way beyond what was to be believed existed in the London region in those long ago years, not to be outdone the French on examining the catacombs below Norte Dame and discovered the same type of copper lands and concluded that they where way ahead of London in their communication network as they where much deeper, the Irish meanwhile excavated below a Church in Dublin and found nothing, they concluded that they had a mobile phone network before anyone else.

When the excavations around the Barbican where under way they discovered an infrastructure of copper lands stretching into the far reaches of the London area, the scientist surmised that this was a sophisticated communications network way beyond what was to be believed existed in the London region in those long ago years, not to be outdone the French on examining the catacombs below Norte Dame and discovered the same type of copper lands and concluded that they where way ahead of London in their communication network as they where much deeper, the Irish meanwhile excavated below a Church in Dublin and found nothing, they concluded that they had a mobile phone network before anyone else.
This reminds me of the story of NASA spending billions of dollars developing a pen that could write on paper in zero gravity..... The Russians used a pencil.

Yeah but they nicked Whittle's design of the engine. Then the Yanks & Ruskies nicked the design.

designs were very different between the Jumo and Whittle's, just same principal.

Can’t remember who said “standing on the shoulders of giants” Either Stalin or Einstein maybe, or some one else...

all inventors take from there predisessors and expand and improve.

edit: sir Issac Newton. Was close but no cigar, wander who said that one.....

Reply to Brexit. We’re out! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock