Discuss Broadband tinternet in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

thats great that killerwatt, very informative for people who dont know the ins and outs. my gripe isnt actually about speeds people are getting its the fact the majority of people think there getting megabytes a second, and virigin media are blatently lying about allsorts to get customers. saying its fibre optic to there door, and agreeing on online chat that i can download at 20 megabytes a second. they are over glamorouzing the actual numbers and expecting people not to know sfa about bits and bytes, why dont they just say that there 20mb b/band is actually about 2.5 megabytes on a very good day? its all a load of bull S&%t.

why dont they just say that there 20mb b/band is actually about 2.5 megabytes on a very good day?
It is actually less than that by the time you allow for the TCP/IP overheads.

As for whether they quote in bits or bytes, well both figures are valid and both figures are correct.

Another example.....I could say that I have 240V coming out of the sockets in my house and that would be correct.
However, I could also say that I have 340V or indeed 680V at the socket and those figures would also be correct (340V peak or 680V peak to peak when viewed on a scope).

the point is that the isp's dont or DO realize that joe public doesnt know the difference between a bit and a byte and most of us think that were getting megabytes a second, 20Mb/s does equate to roughlt 2MB/s rule of thumb is to devide by 10, as like you with all the extra bit's lost in numerous protocols that DSL is riddled with anyway.

ive found numerous sites where people didnt realize what there actually getting, do you think people would chuff about it so much if they realized there 8Mb connection was actually nearer .6Mega bytes a second and same figure for above 20Mb connection? the figures do work out if you know what a bit and a byte is, but know one does so that where the big con is beginning, people only know about bytes and megabytes so associate there 20Mb with mega Bytes and just think they arnt getting that cos of distance from exchange etc.

I can see where you are coming from Sparky, but is it the ISP's fault if the customer doesn't know what they are buying?

For example, If I switch the cruise control on in my car and then kick back with my feet up and read a paper and subsequently crash.....is that the manufacturers fault or mine for not understanding what cruise control actually is?

i dont think theres any comparison, this is something that people dont know about, and isp's are relying on that not knowing cos it makes there product sound better than it really is, even the F*%king clowns that you end up talking to quote megebytes a second download speeds, and they arnt talking about the converted figures there on about sync rates, it is in my oponion a total blag because we all generally know naff all about it. everyone operates in Mega bytes terminoligy they think there getting 4MB, 8MB or 20 MB thats it, if the isp like i said earlier actually said what the proper speed is in MB's then it would all be ok, who wants to know about bits and kilobits? unless you work in the data communications industry.
joe public isnt going to be that interested in it is the reason they dont state the figures in MegaBytes, cos its crap. this country should have all the cabling ripped up and put decent stuff back in take a look at Korea they get fantastic speeds that **** all over ours.

i dont think theres any comparison, this is something that people dont know about, and isp's are relying on that not knowing cos it makes there product sound better than it really is,
Audio manufacturers have been doing that for years, just look at the outrageous claims of power outputs because they choose to quote peak to peak figures instead of the true RMS value.

this country should have all the cabling ripped up and put decent stuff back in take a look at Korea they get fantastic speeds that **** all over ours.
Having 100Mbit or more is no use whatsoever when the internet can't keep up.

exactly loudspeakers have been out donkeys years, people have been educated on what the crack is to do with all that, internet is still in its teenage years in comparison t speakers

just a better speed than what were getting in this country is all i was getting at, with the speeds available quoted in a manner that joe public understands, thats it, do you work for virgin??

just a better speed than what were getting in this country is all i was getting at,
You can have 100Mbit in your front room right now if you want it, but I doubt you'll like the bill that follows...and I know full well you'll be disappointed when you realise that the internet itself won't get anywhere near saturating your connection.

do you work for virgin??
PMSL, read back through my posts ;)

For example, If I switch the cruise control on in my car and then kick back with my feet up and read a paper and subsequently crash.....is that the manufacturers fault or mine for not understanding what cruise control actually is?

A man in america did sue and won against a RV manufacturer after a accident because it did not clearly state in the instruction manual what cruise control did and did not do. He put the cruise control on and went to make a cup of coffee:eek:

A man in america did sue and won against a RV manufacturer after a accident because it did not clearly state in the instruction manual what cruise control did and did not do. He put the cruise control on and went to make a cup of coffee:eek:
The americans sue for anything, and from what I've seen on TV they do not appear to be the brightest lamps in the box anyway.

However, who would you blame?

Reply to Broadband tinternet in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock