Discuss BS7909 to Minor Domestic in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

marcuswareham

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all I work in temporary events, mainly concert touring. I have completed BS7909 training and am electrically competent.

I have been doing video and power for live events for the last 10 years and luckily enough am quite sought after, However due to Covid19 my industry is very much on hold. I also suspect it will be a long time (more than a year, but who knows) until I am back at it, due to crowds in arenas and stadiums being the exact opposite to social distancing

I do plan on returning to my industry when I can, but I might need to do something else in the meantime, but I will wait as long as I can, this is just forward planning.

I am already self employed, hold PLI insurance and have the necessary tools / equipment for testing and safe isolation, etc

I have been thinking of setting myself up to do some domestic electrical work, I am thinking mainly about doing minor works (Non-Notifiable).

What would people's suggestions be to go about this in terms of training / qualifications, As I understand it; all you need to be is suitably skilled / competent to carry out any domestic electrical work (and of course notify building control when required (unless belonging to a scheme).

So what constitutes a skilled / competent person, does my previous training and experience count or should I do some additional training:

Would C&G 2382 suffice
or would a course like this be better:

I do hope I don’t ---- anyone off and I don’t want to steal people's work, But I might have to do something and think this is my main transferable skill. I should also mention having renovated 2 houses almost single-handedly I am no stranger to making holes in walls and making good etc.

Sorry to go on, Thanks Marcus

practical experience and competence is more importanr than paper qualifications. crack on. just 1 thing... i assume you have utr and can do your self-assessment tax returns.

if you think you need any additional qualifications, look at the domestic installer courses from our sponsors. Xs training and Trade Skills 4U.

Best of luck, hope you manage to find enough work to tide you over.
It might be worth considering some industrial or Comercial work.

In many ways it is closer to what you are used to doing.

practical experience and competence is more importanr than paper qualifications. crack on. just 1 thing... i assume you have utr and can do your self-assessment tax returns.

if you think you need any additional qualifications, look at the domestic installer courses from our sponsors. Xs training and Trade Skills 4U.

I agree experience and competence is more important, I do feel as if I am competent, I could maybe do with brushing up on some of the nuances in the regs for domestic etc which is why I thought about the 18th edition course and exam, but likewise I could do it with some night-time reading of the wiring Regs book.

Yes I have UTR number and do tax returns as I have been self employed since 2015
[automerge]1591018757[/automerge]
Best of luck, hope you manage to find enough work to tide you over.
It might be worth considering some industrial or Comercial work.

In many ways it is closer to what you are used to doing.

Yes good shout on the commercial/industrial being closer to what I am used too, Although I was under the impression this was more heavily regulated than domestic with more need for qualifications etc

Maybe A way to go would be to work with an existing sparky but on a self-employed basis, might be able to help him get jobs done quicker or more jobs, or even help in just popping to CEF for the forgotten bits so he doesn't have to waste time leaving site :p haha

Reply to BS7909 to Minor Domestic in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net