Discuss Building own shed? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

drzsta

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all,

I want a 18x10 shed/workshop to keep the bike and general stuff in however the sheds on the market are either overpriced or clad in wafer-thin timber. Anybody built their own and how did you go about it?

Cheers :smile:

Yes a built my own summer house out of 3 x 2 for the floor beams and 2x2 for the walls then cladded with tong and groove inside and out with insulaton board in between ,and floor boards for the floor and ply for the roof all siting on concreat blocks did drawing first , did cost a couple of grand but as you said the ones you buy of the shelf are not as good quality dont forget the extras like doors glass,guttering etc

i do not have my own land, but every place I lived for last 10 years always managed to knock something up together.
Usually from scrap material found somewhere. you need some wood for the frame, something for the sides (dismantled pallets will do) and some ply/OSB/whatever sheet for the roof. Plus bit of a budget for the roll of roofing stuff or a proper flat roof paint.
Plastic corrugated sheet works too.
Nice thick door from the skip will do for a work bench.
Some scrap unistrut may come handy.
Is a nice relaxing experience on a sunny weekend with a cold drink.

Building own shed? IMG_1056 - EletriciansForums.netBuilding own shed? IMG_1069 - EletriciansForums.netBuilding own shed? IMG_1158 - EletriciansForums.net
Having built a few sheds in my time I would suggest a concrete base (pre-mix is always best) followed by a few courses of bricks to lift the wood from the ground so as you get no rotting. I had a load of tiles left over from a build and most of the bricks were recycled also. I constructed a framed roof and tiled it with some tyvek underneath. The doorway is wide as it is now fitted with sliding doors. It got broken into so if i did it again now I would fit a deadbolt lock and doors opening from the centre. I recycled the frame and roof from some 8 x 2 treated lengths of wood my father in law bought from a farm sale. The brickwork took me about three days , it would have taken a bricky about 4 hours!:) And yes the sides now have noggins and diagonal braces!

If I put electric in it would I need a TT or could I export the earth!? (Only joking!;-)

I built mine with a cheap sand and flagstone base. Onto that I used salvaged sleepers to raise the thing off the ground. Salvaged scaff planks formed the floor with DPC between the sleepers and scaff planks. I built a simple frame out of 2x3 and clad it with tongue and groove shiplap. A double door was added at one end, got from freecycle, and a simple OSB and felt roof.

I only bought the shiplap and roof materials new everything else came free, but it was about the same price size for size in comparison to a bought shed. I did however end up with a sturdy long lasting shed rather that a flimsy box made from fence panels that a fart could blow in.

A lot of pallets and ambition ?
http://xunitytalk.me/showthread.php?3214-Falafaels-Corner-Tales-of-Cider-and-beer/page2&

Last edited:

Reply to Building own shed? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock