Discuss buired t&e in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

BES

hello people
Went to job today old couple detached garage built approx 10 yrs ago. Tncs, no extraneous parts in garage. 2way 1x6a 1x16a rcd cu in garage supplying 1 flouresent,outside lamp post light and 3 2g sockets. Problem ive got is the supply to garage is 2.5 t&e buired in pvc conduit with no idea which way its run could be under pathway or under lawn ? and it fed from spur of ring. All they want is replace faulty flouresent and install 2 more and install photo cell so lampost light comes on at night as switch is in garage.No rcd protection at cu old wylex cu with plug in mcbs. The t&e needs ripping out and replacing with swa and dont like spurs feeding submains rather have it on own circuit fron cu. Problem is old story old couple not much money so doing what should be done is not on. Dont want to turn down work especialy as things are do you think note on cert advising on upgrading cable and new cu would suffice. Zs and Ir ok.
cheers neil

my oppinion!! you have stated what needs doing tell your customer this, alot of people come on here saying my customer hasnt got much money a job requires additional works so give them the price.

Did do sedgy but told not enough money. same old chesnut they will get someone down pub to do it and ive lost money

I'll put my tin hat on!

Why do you need RCD protection on the lighting cables if they are surface run inside the garage? The regs don't state you have to replace the supply cable as they are not retrospective. Is adding a couple of lights really a big issue?

Ok the tin hat is on and I'm going down to my bunker!

agree with murdoch. get it done, minor works cert. with advice to improve the feed to the sub.

i agree with murdoc to, do the work and issue a minorworks with a recomendation on the existing installation, you have to keep trading and educating the public otherwise the chap down the pub will take valuable work away from you and still not recomend any further works, the whole issue is a vicous circle, break it by doing the work...

Isn't it jobs like this why a EIC has a 'comments on existing installation' box??

I don't think its and issue with what you are doing, as what you are doing is not making anything less safe than it is.

better he does it and makes a safe as possible job, than fred the bodger from the derby & joan club wiring it up with bell wire.

I'm with Tel and Mur. Get it done.

Must say I'm at a loss to understand why some think anything "old" must be ripped out (or anything without RCDs)

If you really don't want your name on it, get paid in cash.

Murdoch
Garage 2w cu with rcd already there my only concern is t&e feeding garage and not knowing where it ran and how deep .just
good to run things pass people
Cheers for replys

I was just looking through the list of icons for one with a Halo
There seems to be a pervading attitude that electricians need to don the item every time a job that is not inch perfect rears its heads,:angel_smile:

Pc
Didnt say anything about rcds as said just depth & route of t&e and doesnt offer much mechanical protection from spades and such

Murdoch
Garage 2w cu with rcd already there my only concern is t&e feeding garage and not knowing where it ran and how deep .just
good to run things pass people
Cheers for replys

Fair enough, but the cable is protected by the 1361 in the fcu, tho VD might be an issue if it's long. IR it and make sure it's safe where you can see it. As long as it's not unsafe carry on. You can't do anything about things you can't see. And we're not the "electrical police"

An important thing to bear in mind is "what if something goes wrong?" If you're last man on site, you're responsible.
Where do you draw the line on something not being right and carrying our work?

Reply to buired t&e in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net