Discuss Bulb placed into special administration - What now? in the The Exchange area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Bulb Energy, which started in 2015 and was one of the first providers to offer renewable energy at affordable rates, has gone into special administration due to the spike in wholesale prices.

Bulb placed into special administration - What now? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

This means that for now the insolvent company is continuing to run as normal whilst administrators are brought in and the company sold at the appropriate time - if it can be. Customers will be transferred to another provider.

Is it better to go with a bigger supplier or a smaller one at the moment? Should Bulb customers shop around or wait and see what happens?

Have you got any advice for forum members affected by this and the collapse of other energy firms?

Bulb customers should stick with Bulb for now.
The tariff they are on will be better than any they can get as a new customer elsewhere.
It may take a while to sort out so there could be a fair saving for them for now.

Previously on transfers to larger suppliers when a small company goes bust, the new supplier honours the existing rate until it finishes, I doubt that will happen now.

Also I doubt there are any small suppliers left and if there are I doubt they will be taking on new customers at cheap rates, they've go to allow for yet further wholesale energy price increases.

I'm with SHELL.

I was previously with Robin Hood Energy, owned by Nottingham City Council, they went into admin before price rises affected the market.
British Gas bought the customer list and took over the accounts at the previous rates.
I got out as fast as I could as I knew all B-G would be doing would be trying to sell me;
A New Boiler,
A maintenance contract for my existing boiler,
Home breakdown insurance,
And any of the other products that they actually make money on.

And they did try.
They also messed up the transfer, so much that they couldn't take payment and I couldn't get into my energy account.

Last edited:
I'm with Bulb. I had a couple of teething problems with them at first, but it was easy to contact them and their customer service is very good...or at least that was my experience. Once i had explained my problem they sorted it out immediately and I've been happy with them ever since.
They email me on the 12th of each month to allow me to send an actual reading and they use my reading to generate (see what I did there?) my bill. I have built up a fair amount of credit, but as we move into Winter I'm ok with that. I will not shop around just yet, rather wait and see what happens.

I'm with Octopus. They're great. In fact, they're one of the few suppliers at the moment who if you go to try to switch will actually suggest you're probably better off financially staying put right now. I really get the feeling that they want to provide a service, rather than just take my money for a thing they know I need. I'm on one of their Octopus Go tariffs, which is basically Smart Meter controlled Economy 7 - for a few hours overnight my kwh price is 5p, so that's when we run the dishwasher, charge the car, etc.

The £50 each "refer a friend" incentive is a nice bonus (I think I've saved £250 now), but I'd probably refer my friends even without it, to be honest.

I’m with British Gas and have been for some time.
Last months payments have shot up thanks to our hot tub, so I will be shopping around when the prices settle.

Which energy firm are you with? Perhaps it's worth doing a poll for this to see what firm electricians and plumbers are with.
We are with octopus now to take advantage of their overnight reduced energy to charge up the solar batteries not had any issues so far

Reply to Bulb placed into special administration - What now? in the The Exchange area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock