Discuss Bulb placed into special administration - What now? in the The Exchange area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bulb Energy, which started in 2015 and was one of the first providers to offer renewable energy at affordable rates, has gone into special administration due to the spike in wholesale prices.

New-energy-solutions_i1140.jpg

This means that for now the insolvent company is continuing to run as normal whilst administrators are brought in and the company sold at the appropriate time - if it can be. Customers will be transferred to another provider.

Is it better to go with a bigger supplier or a smaller one at the moment? Should Bulb customers shop around or wait and see what happens?

Have you got any advice for forum members affected by this and the collapse of other energy firms?

Edp eletrodomésticos here in Portugal, often referred to as the most expensive in Europe, but of recent times that has levelled out when compared to the UK.

What I like they still have electricity showrooms like it was in the UK years ago,where you can walk in and pay the bill, buy a cooker or complain if you need too.

They operate that same as what was the old MEB or MANWEB did with a full contract service and maintenance packages as standard.

But with excess of 42 billion in assets, EDP are about as solid as a company can be ! not bad for a Government formed company in the mid seventies.

Attachments

• edp.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Octopus here too... 5p for 4 hrs a night, then 13.8p for the rest of the time... with 25p/day charge... can't complain with that. I average about 9.5p/kWh as I push as much as I can into those 4 hrs. Deal ends in May... so not looking forward to the new rates... rumour is it'll be something like 5p/23.8p... might need to finally install those batteries !!

Which energy firm are you with? Perhaps it's worth doing a poll for this to see what firm electricians and plumbers are with.
Avro, just been moved to Octopus, prior to Avro was with GBEnergy till they went bust, then Cooperative energy as they honoured the GB Energy deal before jumping to Avro
Annoyance is that I asked Avro to refund some of my overpayments and they made various excuses about needing meter readings before they could do it this being about 2 weeks before they went bust...so they knew full well the writing was on the wall and likely didn't want to give a refund...know my payments are safe but whole thing stinks tbh...

Which energy firm are you with? Perhaps it's worth doing a poll for this to see what firm electricians and plumbers are with.
Octopus (was Avro!!) Used to be with Scottish Power but their incompetence over several years was just breath-taking, so left for Avro. Within a few months Avro collapsed and I was moved to Octopus. Really sympathise with brianmoooore - I can guess what he is going through!

Octopus energy here 🐙. Looks pretty safe as taking customers from other failed companies.
GO tarrif. Not looking forward to the end of our fixed rate mid Jan. The current day charge is 14p or more and 5p at night with a daily charge of 25p. The new day rate could be 20p+ but we store 5p energy for use during the day/evening.

Any Bulb customers here?

I'm still with Bulb and there have certainly been a hike in prices. Have any Bulb customers moved elsewhere? If so, who did you go with and are you happier?

Any Bulb customers here?

I'm still with Bulb and there have certainly been a hike in prices. Have any Bulb customers moved elsewhere? If so, who did you go with and are you happier?
I'm still with Bulb and for now am hanging in there as it almost feels like we've been lost in the system. Yes, our energy has gone up but not nearly as much as others seem to have done so I'm keeping quiet! Monthly DD (single fuel) is 'only' about £110 and been that for some time. That said, I did spend £900 on oil at the beginning of the week (1000L) although that will see us through into next year now, we've a 2500L tank so if it drops in price again before the winter I'll be topping it to the brim!!

I'm still with Bulb and for now am hanging in there as it almost feels like we've been lost in the system. Yes, our energy has gone up but not nearly as much as others seem to have done so I'm keeping quiet! Monthly DD (single fuel) is 'only' about £110 and been that for some time. That said, I did spend £900 on oil at the beginning of the week (1000L) although that will see us through into next year now, we've a 2500L tank so if it drops in price again before the winter I'll be topping it to the brim!!
Thanks Rockingit. Mines £120 (gas and electric). I'll stay put then!

I got an electrician to bypass the meter months ago, can’t recommend it highly enough 👍🏻 😂
As this thread is not in The Arms, but on the public forum.... can i just say that we do not condone such actions.

Probably wasn't even a real electrician.... just some strange bloke you met in the pub😉

As this thread is not in The Arms, but on the public forum.... can i just say that we do not condone such actions.

Probably wasn't even a real electrician.... just some strange bloke you met in the pub😉
Well put mate……it amazes me and especially my mrs how many strange blokes I meet in pubs….🤔😂

Still staying with Bulb here too - though I did switch to paying only the actual bill each month as they wanted to put it up to £240 a month (electrical only house)

They also managed to not bill me for some months so I built up a large credit, which took 4 months to run through - Their meter system seems to be somewhat flaky - I have a v1 smart meter which they finally managed to read, but recently it regularly fails - even though two other apps (Loop app and Hildebrand Glow) can both see it perfectly fine.

Still staying with Bulb. All electric here, but I'm very frugal so usual bill is just over £50...except last month when it was £92, not that I used any more electricity, just that they put the tariffs up a lot...plus the standing charge is higher also. Truly, I cannot see any way I can reduce my consumption unless I don't eat, don't have any hot water, and turn my beer fridge off-and that ain't happening. Also, I have no heating on between end april and end october, and my hot water heater is on for 1 hour per day, during the off-peak rate.
Things can only get worser...

further to my last post here in August 2022, last month my bill was £216...all due to a huge hike in prices (and, ok, a bit more heating, but not much), so basically double the cost . Octopus seem to be taking over Bulb, but I don't expect to get lower rates any time soon.
I believe gas and electricity should be taken out of private ownership and revert to the government...but that is a whole different argument...

So why am I being charged 47p/unit for electricity?
Nuclear, solar, hydro and wind haven't experienced any substantial increases in generating cost, and gas prices are back down to where they were over a year ago.

Reply to Bulb placed into special administration - What now? in the The Exchange area at ElectriciansForums.net