Discuss Buried SWA Troubleshooting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

denny2k2

DIY
Reaction score
Hi guys, long time lurker first time poster.

I have an SWA 3 core armoured cable buried that runs to my back garden. This originally serviced an old delapitated workshop from the previous home owner. The workshop was removed, SWA armoured cable cut and left available to be reused in the back garden or hooked up to new shed or garage.

I’ve decided to use it as a simple feed to power an outdoor double socket for occasional electrical mower/strimmer and outdoor lighting

I was always under the impression it fed straight to our main fuse box, labelled under “garage” which is RCD protected. This has always had the garage breaker off ever since the workshop was removed.

I’ve switched the fuse breaker on to test that the cable is live with a multimeter and it’s showing as dead? Other than the fuse itself, is there anything else that could cause it to be dead?

I’ve checked for any switches and there is one under the fuse box that I thought might control the feed but it’s still dead with that switched on or off.

Any help would be great!

Will provide pics below.

A general point - before relying on an old underground cable being ok to use again you could do with finding a friendly sparks to do a quick insulation resistance test on it. (Your normal multimeter can't do that). That will prove beyond any doubt that the cable isn't damaged. There are also safer ways to check the cables integrity and polarity. We prefer knowing it won't go bang as opposed to hoping it doesn't go bang!
Regarding your actual question, first thing I'd do is turn off, remove the fuse, and with your multimeter set on Ohms (resistance) see if you get very low resistance when you touch either side of it. If the fuse has gone, I wouldn't just replace it in case there is a dead short somewhere underground. So we come full circle to getting it properly tested.

A general point - before relying on an old underground cable being ok to use again you could do with finding a friendly sparks to do a quick insulation resistance test on it. (Your normal multimeter can't do that). That will prove beyond any doubt that the cable isn't damaged. There are also safer ways to check the cables integrity and polarity. We prefer knowing it won't go bang as opposed to hoping it doesn't go bang!
Regarding your actual question, first thing I'd do is turn off, remove the fuse, and with your multimeter set on Ohms (resistance) see if you get very low resistance when you touch either side of it. If the fuse has gone, I wouldn't just replace it in case there is a dead short somewhere underground. So we come full circle to getting it properly tested.

That all sounds pretty wise! Think that's what I'll do then if fuse is ok.

Can you see the end of the SWA at / near the main box in the house?

Yeah, pics below should explain the set up.
Image-001.jpg

IMAGE 001 - Garage labeled as MCB 1.
Image-002.jpg

IMAGE 002 -Wider shot of CU
Image-003.jpg

IMAGE 003 -In cupboard below CU, this looks like the SWA box with warning label.
Image-004.jpg

IMAGE 004 -This is what is on the other side of the wall, cable coming out is likely SWA (helpfully painted white by previous owners) which is buried.
Image-005.jpg

IMAGE 005 -Finally the SWA within the back garden itself.

You need to stop switching on the mcb to see if it is live, with the cable ends floating about it is dangerous. An electrician can easily check the mcb and carry out continuity and insulation resistance tests.

You need to stop switching on the mcb to see if it is live, with the cable ends floating about it is dangerous. An electrician can easily check the mcb and carry out continuity and insulation resistance tests.

Yep, haven’t touched anything since I realised it was dead/a fault. So kept everything off and tidied away. The cable ends are wrapped up/capped and stored away from elements.

Reply to Buried SWA Troubleshooting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net