Discuss Burried SWA for a log cabin in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gringoking88

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

Hope someone can give me clarity around the need to bury an SWA cable please.

I've been asked to install an 4mm SWA from the main DB to a "to be built log cabin" at the end of the garden about 50m away, it will need to run along a fence for most the route (or underground).

I called NICEIC to clarify and they advised I cant clip it to the fence incase it falls down, cant leave it on the surface due to rodents and have to bury it for the entire length. My question is reg 522.8.10 says "burried cables shall be buried to a sufficient depth to avoid being damaged...." what do you guys call a sufficient depth and whats your thoughts about rodents chewing through SWA armour???

Basically what do you guys do in these cases??...

Many thanks,

M

I've never seen a rodent chew through SWA, but then I ain't seen everything. I've also never seen a fence blown down and damage a SWA.
You'd also best not clip cables in sheds in case they fall down or put light fittings in rooms under bathrooms in case the bath floods if going by the logic of the advice given.

The "sufficient depth" reg is worded such to make you risk assess the route - for example, if buried beneath a vehicular route, the depth is likely to need to be greater than if buried beneath a flower border, etc.

Hi all,

Hope someone can give me clarity around the need to bury an SWA cable please.

I've been asked to install an 4mm SWA from the main DB to a "to be built log cabin" at the end of the garden about 50m away, it will need to run along a fence for most the route (or underground).

I called NICEIC to clarify and they advised I cant clip it to the fence incase it falls down, cant leave it on the surface due to rodents and have to bury it for the entire length. My question is reg 522.8.10 says "burried cables shall be buried to a sufficient depth to avoid being damaged...." what do you guys call a sufficient depth and whats your thoughts about rodents chewing through SWA armour???

Basically what do you guys do in these cases??...

Many thanks,

M
Gringo in the USA code book it has to buried 24 inches or 0.5 meters to the top of the cable

I usually ignore the Niceic warnings about the imminent collapse of a fence and clip it along the fence (also it must be the case that Welsh rodents don't eat cable sheathing as much as the English rodents,that is if this particular fear is indeed as frequent a occurrence as some would have me believe)
My reluctance to embrace the "don't clip it to a fence" outrage is probably because in the mines they were in full view,especially to the rodents who resided underground,they somehow seemed not to have the taste for cable sheathing that their their above ground kin must have acquired in later years,thats if you believe all these alarm bells that are always being rung about the subject

Where it has to be buried it would be 2 spades depth with a sand base,lay marking tape above the cable,if vehicles are to be driven near or over the run, in this case a duct of sorts would help protect that cable

Hi gringoking88,

Got a bit confused for a moment because you have DIY on badge but you where able to call niceic help line. Your profile shows your quals so not sure if you are DIY.

Anyway I totally agree with des 56 I quite often clip to fences. Don’t see a problem as long as it’s not rotten or about to be replaced. I always ask the customer I am dealing with what there preferences are.
Buried or clipped.

As a side issue 50 meters 4mm. Hope the load isn’t too high.

Without doing any calcs I think you would struggle to get under adequate voltdrop for anything over 20amps.

Reason I mention it is I have just done calcs for a 10 mm SWA over 50 meters.

May be worth checking.

Guess some of you guys have never had a whole fence come down in the wind :) The gravel board will rot and need replacing, then the cable will need reclipping. If you try and fix it to ordinary fence panels, you'll end up splitting them. I'd clip it to a fence as a last resort. Dig it in IMO. I've even run it surface in some cases in black ducting.

Guess some of you guys have never had a whole fence come down in the wind :) The gravel board will rot and need replacing, then the cable will need reclipping. If you try and fix it to ordinary fence panels, you'll end up splitting them. I'd clip it to a fence as a last resort. Dig it in IMO. I've even run it surface in some cases in black ducting.
never seen a gravel board rot. they're concrete.

Hi gringoking88,

Got a bit confused for a moment because you have DIY on badge but you where able to call niceic help line.

I know somebody who isnt registered with the NICEIC but often rings the tech helpline saying he is from company x and gives there registration number and company address. if questioned just says he works for them. they havent refused any tech help yet!

never seen a gravel board rot. they're concrete.

Tish tish, you need to get out more. As well as concrete, they make em in wood and also in composites.

The woods ones rot, but stop the fence rotting prematurely:)
[automerge]1567239550[/automerge]
I know somebody who isnt registered with the NICEIC but often rings the tech helpline saying he is from company x and gives there registration number and company address. if questioned just says he works for them. they havent refused any tech help yet!

When I was with Elecsa, and rung their technical, I was never asked to verify my membership. My ring them now, and ask them about clipping cables to fences :)
[automerge]1567239721[/automerge]
Hey Midwest, did you use something to keep the conduit secured in place on the ground surface? I have previously considered doing the same, but wasn't sure how to keep it from being moved.

I’ve used black miniflow down pipe, before.

Still needs securing, might fix it to the fence post. :cool:

Last edited:
fix some 2"x 1" treated timber to posts, then cleat SWA to that.

Reply to Burried SWA for a log cabin in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock