Discuss Burried SWA for a log cabin in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

One of the main things advised is "considering the future disturbance of the ground" A green patch of lawn would be completely different to an agricultural field for instance.

I’ve buried some swa in ducting in my garden. Probably no more than 50mm under the ground, no yellow tape. It’s under some artificial grass or slabs, so no digging likely.

I’ve buried some swa in ducting in my garden. Probably no more than 50mm under the ground, no yellow tape. It’s under some artificial grass or slabs, so no digging likely.
And you know it is there and there will be information left for future occupiers or anyone who would want to disturb it. That's the way it should be done . It is all about consideration and common sense. :)

if it's buried under a patio or slabs, no need to be 600 deep. i have a run of pond flex in kopex, 6" below patio slabs. been there 9 years, no problems.

See Attached, SWA Armor sheath is earthed at main board. The earth is isolated at outbuilding and eath rod installed to form a TT system with a 30ma RCD covering outbuilding. The supply to SWA cable feeding outbuilding should be protected by a time delayed RCD 100ma
there is a lot on the web about not exporting PME.

So are you saying that you believe every outbuilding or garage should be TTd if the supply is TNCS?

See Attached, SWA Armor sheath is earthed at main board. The earth is isolated at outbuilding and eath rod installed to form a TT system with a 30ma RCD covering outbuilding. The supply to SWA cable feeding outbuilding should be protected by a time delayed RCD 100ma
there is a lot on the web about not exporting PME.

That doesn't explain why though, you are just repeating a common misconception without backing it up with reference to the regulations or technical knowledge. Plus you've got it wrong, the SWA doesn't need RCD protection.

Creating a TT earthing system for the outbuilding is only necessary if there are extraneous conductive parts present in the outbuilding and if it is not practicable to install main bonding to them. At this stage in the OPs situation where they have not yet begun work the better options are adding a 10mm earth to the submain or increasing it to a 10mm 3 core SWA,this will give them a 10mm bond at the log cabin to connect to any extraneous conductive parts.

'TTing' as it has become known should be the last option considered as it swaps a very good, low impedance earth connection for what is likely to be a poor, high impedance earth connection. This then leads to a reliance on RCDs which are far from infallible.

Agreed however there are recommendations as attached document READ MORE HERE and you may need permission From DNO to export PME.

Think you're digging a trench for yourself here @Jeremy Hale :), that link is about using the armouring of swa as cpc.

If you look in the resourcing section, there's some content about this matter. I've read before about permissions from DNO's etc, but never found any such requirements. We have to abide by BS7671, they have other regulations.

Reply to Burried SWA for a log cabin in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net