Discuss Burying Selv cable in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I hear the regs for burying cables don't apply to SELV cables anymore? Is that right? Are there any requirements for buried SELV cables now? Yellow tape, minimum depth, mechanical protection?

I'm shielding at home for 12 weeks and don't have access to my regs book otherwise ild check myself. Im putting in a few 24vdc garden light posts and I was thinking of using hituff / nyyj in metal flexible conduit, about 6 inches below ground level, (just enough depth to bend into the bottom of the light stand, gland off the conduit to the light stand and then use a waterproof box to connect the hituff / lamp light cable.

I didn't want to use swa as i don't think the gland will survive being in the ground.

Thanks for the help

Whether the regs apply or not, it would make sense to bury it and identify it just as any other cable otherwise there's still a risk of it being damaged.

The regs still apply. You still have to design the circuit to be safe and not prone to damage.
You wouldn't want a customer complaining that he has just put his spade through the cable cause it was 2 inch in the ground, unprotected.

I think you can bury NYY-J directly if there is little risk of damage, but as already said some plastic conduit would provide a bit of extra protection.

As for the depth I guess "it depends" - if it were in locations unlikely to ever be dug up (or buried under patio stones, etc) then you could get away with a fairly shallow installation, but probably 30cm or more otherwise?

Reply to Burying Selv cable in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net