Discuss Cable calculation in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Simon Burton

Active EF Member
Il give you the scenario, stables in a field, e-on have been out and put a supply in a hut with a meter on and a one shot, main fuse is 80amps, the customer need a fuseboard putting in the barn, 75metres away, what size cable would i be looking at, ive done a calculation, 1 x swa cable 3 core, burried, ive use 80amp as the demand as this is the maximum at the origin and the cable size is coming back at 25mm. Is the right or is there some sort of diversity applied which would allow you todrop to 16mm. All that will be going in are sockets and light, quite a few to be fair but altimatley just wanted to get the armoures cable to the fuseboard and just questioning the size. Any help is appreciated

westward10

In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream.
Staff member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Appendix 4 Reg 6.4 gives permitted vd limits. These limits apply from the origin of the installation to any load points and for lighting this is 3% therefore, if you have a 3% allowance on your submain any lighting circuit is going to exceed this if the submain is operating at full load, not likely. It is often quoted submains feeding lighting and power has a vd limit of 1% allowing a small allowance for the lighting.

Strima

Electrician's Arms
What’s you design load and max demand? Earthing arrangement? Any utilities that require bonding?

Pete999

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Il give you the scenario, stables in a field, e-on have been out and put a supply in a hut with a meter on and a one shot, main fuse is 80amps, the customer need a fuseboard putting in the barn, 75metres away, what size cable would i be looking at, ive done a calculation, 1 x swa cable 3 core, burried, ive use 80amp as the demand as this is the maximum at the origin and the cable size is coming back at 25mm. Is the right or is there some sort of diversity applied which would allow you todrop to 16mm. All that will be going in are sockets and light, quite a few to be fair but altimatley just wanted to get the armoures cable to the fuseboard and just questioning the size. Any help is appreciated
The hut you talk of does it require any bonding?

Spoon

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
1 x swa cable 3 core, burried, ive use 80amp as the demand as this is the maximum at the origin and the cable size is coming back at 25mm.
When you say "is coming back" is this your own cals or have you inputted the info into a web site?
As above. Your calcs are incorrect.

westward10

In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream.
Staff member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
If you allow for a 1% drop that is a hefty cable.

Pete999

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
He is quoting a three core and hence with an 80A head the third core should be adequate for bonding purposes.
Maybe , he may not know that he can use the armour as a cpc, after all he is asking questions that an electrician should know the answer to, don't you think, probably not though.

Spoon

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
I dont know the design current so im taking it as 80amps, as thats is the fuse rating on the head.
Fare enough mate. Hard to do cable calcs without it though.
If this is an actual job then don't you need to have a fused insolator fitted? Won't the insolator fuse be lower than 80A?
Please correct me if I'm wrong in this.

N

Nigel

I dont know the design current so im taking it as 80amps, as thats is the fuse rating on the head.
If you do not know the design current then you are looking at worst case so that will push costs up. Are you not installing the final circuits?

OP
S

Simon Burton

Active EF Member
If you do not know the design current then you are looking at worst case so that will push costs up. Are you not installing the final circuits?
Yeah however he may be adding at later dates i know all the lighgs will be led tho and its literally gonna be 13 amp sockets, so in terms of circuits, 4 lighying and 2 or 3 radials maybe, the circuits again will be a good run in armoured so il also be cable calculating these but this wont be a problem as i will have design current as and when the cistomer knows what hes having in. Just this main cable with the run like

OP
S

Simon Burton

Active EF Member
Yeah however he may be adding at later dates i know all the lighgs will be led tho and its literally gonna be 13 amp sockets, so in terms of circuits, 4 lighying and 2 or 3 radials maybe, the circuits again will be a good run in armoured so il also be cable calculating these but this wont be a problem as i will have design current as and when the cistomer knows what hes having in. Just this main cable with the run like

OP
S

Simon Burton

Active EF Member
Fare enough mate. Hard to do cable calcs without it though.
If this is an actual job then don't you need to have a fused insolator fitted? Won't the insolator fuse be lower than 80A?
Please correct me if I'm wrong in this.
Yeah im now thinking degrade the fuse rating in my isolator, going off topic how do this work in domestic when the heas is a 60amp but the mainswitch on a db is 100amp

N

Nigel

Yeah im now thinking degrade the fuse rating in my isolator, going off topic how do this work in domestic when the heas is a 60amp but the mainswitch on a db is 100amp
The main switch is not a fuse. Are you a qualified electrician?

OP
S

Simon Burton

Active EF Member
What’s you design load and max demand? Earthing arrangement? Any utilities that require bonding?
I dont have one as the customer doesnt exactly know what he is having, i was going with the worst case being the fuse rating on the main head. No utilities as its pvc water main. And main earth will be tt as its in a field, western power have put a tncs in but we will be putting a earth rod in along with rcd ect ect

N

Nigel

I would design to 63A if this was me.

N

Nigel

I dont have one as the customer doesnt exactly know what he is having, i was going with the worst case being the fuse rating on the main head. No utilities as its pvc water main. And main earth will be tt as its in a field, western power have put a tncs in but we will be putting a earth rod in along with rcd ect ect
How comes you are not using the TN-C-S?

OP
S

Simon Burton

Active EF Member
The main switch is not a fuse. Are you a qualified electrician?
No but in terms of over current in a domestic dwelling ive seen a db have 100amp main switchbwith and the main head bein 60amp fuse, the fuse in the main head would blow before rhe main switch would trip. Which is incorrect but why is this done.

N

Nigel

No but in terms of over current in a domestic dwelling ive seen a db have 100amp main switchbwith and the main head bein 60amp fuse, the fuse in the main head would blow before rhe main switch would trip. Which is incorrect but why is this done.
So you are a DIYer?

Andy78

Respected Member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
I think this is the clincher. Get someone competent on this job mate.

Electrician Talk