Discuss Cable prices increasing rapidly in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Not as bad as the period between 2004 and about 2007/8. I seem to remember we paid about £19 for 2.5 t and e at the start of that period and about £45-£50 at the peak.
i Remember that time , I went self deployed around 02/03 and got 100m 2.5 T&e from my then local Edmundsons for around £18+vat , by the end of that decade it was about £45+vat. so £50-55 ish per drum today it hasn’t really gone up that much in the last 10 years...
land if you get it on special from wickes toolstation etc it’s around the same price as 2010

If anything it’s Labour that has rocketed the last 5-10 years , day rate 2010 about £150-180 , 2020 £250-450.
at this rate by 2025 rates will be £750 per day ...

We got the nod in early December from our wholesalers that cable amongst other things were increasing in january. We bought stacks of cable to beat the price rise. Wholesaler also offered to keep materials in the warehouse if we ordered in December but had them delivered in January. The list I had was well over 30 manufacturers putting their prices up.

We've been fitting a lot of metal trunking on a job and the price increase on that was 15%

When I asked why, iI was told it was a combination of Brexit, Covid and general uncertainty in the construction market.

Speaking to a wood muncher yesterday and he said wood has gone up in price and Galv metal sheeting has literally gone through the roof (pardon the pun). Has waited 4 months for a delivery to finish a house and it still hasn't arrived.

We are struggling to get SWA and Hituff at the moment awaiting deliveries of both been told will only get 4 drums of 6mm 3 core Hituff instead of 8 same with SWA

Whilst Brexit has been the cause of many many problems its not why material prices have risen, that is directly from at the time necessary Covid restrictions shutting down the worlds economy ! many manufacturing companies were already on the brink and it tipped them over and never to reopened.

The restart of business has been seen an unprecedented demand for all construction materials which itself has cause shortage and price rises, hopefully in time it will slowly return to a better level.

We must also take into account the blockage of the Suez canal and the container shortage it cased, lots of ships missed their birthing times in ports and the containers and ships where in the wrong place to pick up return loads it caused major problems for those routes and deliveries world wide.

We must also take into account the blockage of the Suez canal and the container shortage it cased, lots of ships missed their birthing times in ports and the containers and ships where in the wrong place to pick up return loads it caused major problems for those routes and deliveries world wide.
The Evergiven running aground and the container shortage are two totally unrelated events. The Evergiven held up around 400+ ships at the southern end of the Suez Canal, the knock on of that is that it messed up all the berthing slots for the next several months and possibly longer also during that period west bound traffic to the US increased on the strength of a covid recovery plan and became more lucrative for the shippers to route ships to the US instead of the far east, for many months it was not unusual to have 50 - 60 ships at anchor waiting to get into New York port to unload and load on the US west coast Los Angeles port had similar backlogs

The container shortage in the far east is down to who pays for the empty containers to be shipped back to the far east from Europe and elsewhere globally

One of my customers works in LCL shipping and described the grounding of the Evergiven as one of his worst nightmares he had a few thousand containers held up on the Evergiven and the other ships caught up in queue behind it add into that General Average was called on the Evergiven's load and added around an extra £26,000 to the shipping cost of every container it was carrying
A recent covid lockdown in China caused delays for some shippers whose warehousing was within the lockdown area so it made it difficult if not impossible to transfer goods to the port

It will take a long time for global shipping to sort itself out after Covid and the Evergiven incident

Reply to Cable prices increasing rapidly in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net