Discuss Cable zones on a staircase in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

smity

-
Reaction score
I want to add lights up my stairs like this, never come across this before would wiring point to point be classed in a zone with it running on the stairs or will i need to bury it in conduit?

Thanks

Cable zones on a staircase Screenshot_20200111_113621_com.android.chrome - EletriciansForums.net

Safe zones are only vertical or horizontal, you'd have to wire in earthed steel conduit or use an earthed sheathed cable to go point to point with low voltage (230v) lights. Or use extra LV lights from a transformer to go light to light not in a safe zone.
If you do lights like this it's worth thinking about how failed units would be replaced, often installs like this are done with no thought for how to access for repair when it goes wrong.

I'd mount some 25mm x 16mm mini trunking up the side rail below where you have the lights, then a small chase vertical into each light.

Safe zones are only vertical or horizontal, you'd have to wire in earthed steel conduit or use an earthed sheathed cable to go point to point with low voltage (230v) lights. Or use extra LV lights from a transformer to go light to light not in a safe zone.
If you do lights like this it's worth thinking about how failed units would be replaced, often installs like this are done with no thought for how to access for repair when it goes wrong.

Thanks mate,

I did think that would be the case but with the stairs being a horizontal surface i was hoping there may have been be away around it.

I will stick some conduit in, would galv flexible conduit cover mechanical protection?
[automerge]1578769334[/automerge]
Or go down the 12v route ?

my method is easier, cheaper, and cables are accessible. you can actually get decorative trunking and make a feature of it.

my method is easier, cheaper, and cables are accessible. you can actually get decorative trunking and make a feature of it.

Thanks, i am rewiring the house so this wall is being plastered so i may as well bury it, ive got some 20mm conduit on the van so not a big deal to put that in ??

Any conduit used must be earthed and suitable for use as a cpc, as above, no flexible conduit I've used is suitable for use as a cpc. I'm not really sure how you could easily adapt steel conduit to this, an earthed sheathed cable would be better, there is a cable designed just for this ,to be used just like a buried T/E, the name escapes me now...ask your wholesaler.
Edit....It's listed as Shielded LSOH on the CEF website, and meets the requirements for a buried cable outside of a safe zone

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting one, although regulations denote a vertical or horizontal plane I feel this is one given the skirting run could contend for a exception in future regulations, it is a obviously clear assumption to make a direct diagonal plane to wire such a set-up, why the regulations specify vertical and horizontal is to give recognisable zones on a open plan wall, this however could sit in it's own exception.

Hi - as far as I know - flexible conduit is not sufficient so that zones may be ignored.
Thanks mate, thats what I thought ??
[automerge]1578773087[/automerge]
Any conduit used must be earthed and suitable for use as a cpc, as above, no flexible conduit I've used is suitable for use as a cpc. I'm not really sure how you could easily adapt steel conduit to this, an earthed sheathed cable would be better, there is a cable designed just for this ,to be used just like a buried T/E, the name escapes me now...ask your wholesaler.
Edit....It's listed as Shielded LSOH on the CEF website, and meets the requirements for a buried cable outside of a safe zone
I agree it would take some messing about to bend it at each box, the cable you quoted looks much easier but not cheap and only sold in 100m drums. I will see if i can source is in smaller quantities.

Thanks ??
[automerge]1578773257[/automerge]
Interesting one, although regulations denote a vertical or horizontal plane I feel this is one given the skirting run could contend for a exception in future regulations, it is a obviously clear assumption to make a direct diagonal plane to wire such a set-up, why the regulations specify vertical and horizontal is to give recognisable zones on a open plan wall, this however could sit in it's own exception.
This is what i was thinking but couldn't find anything relating to a staircase or diagonal plane... I usually work on commercial/industrial so was hoping someone could point me towards a reg saying i could go point to point but it seems there isn't one ☹️

Last edited:
Looking at Regs (nothing on tel...) 522.6.202 says (in part) use zones or comply with 522.6.204 which says (in part) BS8436 cables are ok. Edwardes also have that cable in 1.5mm :) .

Looking at Regs (nothing on tel...) 522.6.202 says (in part) use zones or comply with 522.6.204 which says (in part) BS8436 cables are ok. Edwardes also have that cable in 1.5mm :) .
Yeah £87 for 100m and i probably only need 20m
[automerge]1578774914[/automerge]
MICC - polished copper, anyone?
Ive just done a listed stately home in pyro, dont want to go near it again ?

Yeah £87 for 100m and i probably only need 20m
[automerge]1578774914[/automerge]

Ive just done a listed stately home in pyro, dont want to go near it again ?
MICC is beautiful. What's with the negative waves.Moriarty?

MICC is beautiful. What's with the negative waves.Moriarty?
To be honest in the right setting it is nice stuff, making off sockets 2 inch from the floor with 4mm pyro or 8 cables in a switch. Not so nice. I could maybe get some micc and pots from work tho ?
[automerge]1578776362[/automerge]
You could use bs 8436 cables
I haven't used this cable before, how is it made off and does it require a gland? Thanks

Last edited:
A reminder that the regs are a guidance and not statutory, if you deem a justifiable reason to make a detour from the regs then do so but you must supply the information to the customer and future trades that you have taken this course, given this is one of those time that it should be blatantly obvious plus in an area where we wouldn't expect drilling etc then personally I would do it in normal wiring, we are in days of rcd coverage too as well, the alternative which isn't mentioned is SELV which maintains regulation satisfaction and gives the same result.

I will add as a second thought, it is plausible a stair lift could be fitted, this would justify the regs stance, so I will stand corrected by myself and go for the SELV option as a solution.

Reply to Cable zones on a staircase in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock