Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Cable zones on a staircase in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

I want to add lights up my stairs like this, never come across this before would wiring point to point be classed in a zone with it running on the stairs or will i need to bury it in conduit?

Thanks

Screenshot_20200111_113621_com.android.chrome.jpg

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
Safe zones are only vertical or horizontal, you'd have to wire in earthed steel conduit or use an earthed sheathed cable to go point to point with low voltage (230v) lights. Or use extra LV lights from a transformer to go light to light not in a safe zone.
If you do lights like this it's worth thinking about how failed units would be replaced, often installs like this are done with no thought for how to access for repair when it goes wrong.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
I'd mount some 25mm x 16mm mini trunking up the side rail below where you have the lights, then a small chase vertical into each light.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Safe zones are only vertical or horizontal, you'd have to wire in earthed steel conduit or use an earthed sheathed cable to go point to point with low voltage (230v) lights. Or use extra LV lights from a transformer to go light to light not in a safe zone.
If you do lights like this it's worth thinking about how failed units would be replaced, often installs like this are done with no thought for how to access for repair when it goes wrong.
Thanks mate,

I did think that would be the case but with the stairs being a horizontal surface i was hoping there may have been be away around it.

I will stick some conduit in, would galv flexible conduit cover mechanical protection?
Post automatically merged:

Or go down the 12v route 🤔

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
my method is easier, cheaper, and cables are accessible. you can actually get decorative trunking and make a feature of it.

my method is easier, cheaper, and cables are accessible. you can actually get decorative trunking and make a feature of it.
Thanks, i am rewiring the house so this wall is being plastered so i may as well bury it, ive got some 20mm conduit on the van so not a big deal to put that in 👍🏻

Any conduit used must be earthed and suitable for use as a cpc, as above, no flexible conduit I've used is suitable for use as a cpc. I'm not really sure how you could easily adapt steel conduit to this, an earthed sheathed cable would be better, there is a cable designed just for this ,to be used just like a buried T/E, the name escapes me now...ask your wholesaler.
Edit....It's listed as Shielded LSOH on the CEF website, and meets the requirements for a buried cable outside of a safe zone

Last edited:

darkwood

Mod
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Interesting one, although regulations denote a vertical or horizontal plane I feel this is one given the skirting run could contend for a exception in future regulations, it is a obviously clear assumption to make a direct diagonal plane to wire such a set-up, why the regulations specify vertical and horizontal is to give recognisable zones on a open plan wall, this however could sit in it's own exception.

Hi - as far as I know - flexible conduit is not sufficient so that zones may be ignored.
Thanks mate, thats what I thought 👍🏻

Any conduit used must be earthed and suitable for use as a cpc, as above, no flexible conduit I've used is suitable for use as a cpc. I'm not really sure how you could easily adapt steel conduit to this, an earthed sheathed cable would be better, there is a cable designed just for this ,to be used just like a buried T/E, the name escapes me now...ask your wholesaler.
Edit....It's listed as Shielded LSOH on the CEF website, and meets the requirements for a buried cable outside of a safe zone
I agree it would take some messing about to bend it at each box, the cable you quoted looks much easier but not cheap and only sold in 100m drums. I will see if i can source is in smaller quantities.

Thanks 👍🏻

Interesting one, although regulations denote a vertical or horizontal plane I feel this is one given the skirting run could contend for a exception in future regulations, it is a obviously clear assumption to make a direct diagonal plane to wire such a set-up, why the regulations specify vertical and horizontal is to give recognisable zones on a open plan wall, this however could sit in it's own exception.
This is what i was thinking but couldn't find anything relating to a staircase or diagonal plane... I usually work on commercial/industrial so was hoping someone could point me towards a reg saying i could go point to point but it seems there isn't one ☹

Last edited:

Wilko

-
Arms
Esteemed
Looking at Regs (nothing on tel...) 522.6.202 says (in part) use zones or comply with 522.6.204 which says (in part) BS8436 cables are ok. Edwardes also have that cable in 1.5mm :) .

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
MICC - polished copper, anyone?

Looking at Regs (nothing on tel...) 522.6.202 says (in part) use zones or comply with 522.6.204 which says (in part) BS8436 cables are ok. Edwardes also have that cable in 1.5mm :) .
Yeah £87 for 100m and i probably only need 20m

MICC - polished copper, anyone?
Ive just done a listed stately home in pyro, dont want to go near it again 😂

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available

Reply to Cable zones on a staircase in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors
SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
Top Bottom