Discuss Cables in cavity of walls in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

as long as it's not liable to suffer damage, but it's not the best way.

I extended a ring final circuit through a section of cavity wall which is now internal. Worked a treat using super rods with the dangly magnetic thingy. All done to provide sockets for TV and PS4. Son has now lost interest in PS 4 or plays elsewhere. There's gratitude for you!

Why are you asking the question?
Building Regulations Doc C only permits wall ties to bridge the cavity, see Section 5.13 b. Cables in external cavity walls may create a bridge for moisture transfer between the outer and inner skins. I believe the NHBC only permits conductors between the service and CU within an outer cavity and I believe the Electrical Safety Council give the same advice.

Building Regulations Doc C only permits wall ties to bridge the cavity, see Section 5.13 b. Cables in external cavity walls may create a bridge for moisture transfer between the outer and inner skins. I believe the NHBC only permits conductors between the service and CU within an outer cavity and I believe the Electrical Safety Council give the same advice.
so how the bloody 'ell do yougo about feeding a cable from inside to outside, say for an outside IP55 socket?

Hum.... That does not answer my question....

Or installing a pipe for an outside tap. Surely the act of installing cavity insulation bridges the gap ? This thread should be renamed 'Mind the gap'

Would it be they if they gave an inch, all the electricians & plumbers would take a mile, and fill up cavities with cables and pipes, rather than the odd pipe for outside tap etc.

Reading in a recent copy of 'Connections' that polystyrene balls for cavity insulation 'will' react with pvc cables, and therefore should not be installed together.

Would it be they if they gave an inch, all the electricians & plumbers would take a mile, and fill up cavities with cables and pipes, rather than the odd pipe for outside tap etc.

Reading in a recent copy of 'Connections' that polystyrene balls for cavity insulation 'will' react with pvc cables, and therefore should not be installed together.
Yeah it softens the pvc sheath and becomes all runny like I've seen it quite a few times on shelted housing

So to repeat Telectrix's question, how would you run a cable through a wall for an outside socket, security light, etc?

Cable TV companies will just drill straight through (mine did years ago) as will satellite dish installers.

As said above, not good practice due to multiple bridging of cavity and issues with the cavity insulation. Not a major issue when running cables/pipes from outside to inside - we all drill with a slight dowward tilt don't we?

So to repeat Telectrix's question, how would you run a cable through a wall for an outside socket, security light, etc?

Cable TV companies will just drill straight through (mine did years ago) as will satellite dish installers.
On new builds we are required to run the cable through conduit.
20mm hole through or use a bit of plumbers pvc pipe to sleeve the cable.

Reply to Cables in cavity of walls in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock