Discuss Can I calculate how fast an RCD should trip? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

spud1

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all.

Been bugging me.
I think there is a way to calculate how fast a particularly rated RCD should trip (rather than measuring) but I can't remember how to do it ?
e. g. If I was designing an SWA submain fed from a TT earthed installation and I needed to install say a 300mA TD RCD to acheive a disconnection time of 1sec for fault protection, is there a way to calculate at the design stage whether that RCD will trip within 1sec ( if I know the rated time delay) ?

I will stick me neck out,and say no.
You are not only dealing with differing types of electrical initiation,but there are also mechanical factors,such as thermal,friction and spring parts of its action.

The measured values have a time,but the expected,are always more than/less than.

.....But you calculate your aim point,for a 50 cal,with gravity,wind,earth spin and many other factors,so.....

I would suggest looking up the data sheet for the RCD in question. You'll see the I/t curves have fairly steep sides which include manufacturing tolerances and the best you can calculate is to ensure your design falls on the "will trip" side.

As far as I am aware the actual time in which an RCD will trip is determined by the manufacturer of the device.
Different makes of RCD/RCBO will trip at different speeds and even then the same manufacturer might have different variabilities in the speed of tripping.
However for all modern unadjustable RCDs if the fault current is 5 * rated current or more they must, to be compliant, trip within 40ms if not time delayed at least 150ms if time delayed.
In preparing a design you should be able to rely on these values to determine if the installation is safe.

Quick enough to save a human (if they need saving !)
, and it's self from
thermal damage.
So this will vary by :-
a) Manufacturer-
b) Bulk of material
c) Quality of materials used
d) May correlate with price/safety margin/cycles good for

Last edited:
Hi all.

Been bugging me.
I think there is a way to calculate how fast a particularly rated RCD should trip (rather than measuring) but I can't remember how to do it ?
e. g. If I was designing an SWA submain fed from a TT earthed installation and I needed to install say a 300mA TD RCD to acheive a disconnection time of 1sec for fault protection, is there a way to calculate at the design stage whether that RCD will trip within 1sec ( if I know the rated time delay) ?
Adiabatic equation

Reply to Can I calculate how fast an RCD should trip? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock