Discuss Can I put a single socket next to a radiator? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

jack-96

DIY
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am a DIY electrician and I need some electrical safety advice. Due to space constraints, I am looking to potentially put a single switched socket next to a wall mounted oil filled radiator.

My concern is the heat from the radiator melting the proposed socket creating melting plastic fumes. The socket would be located 11cm away from the radiator on a wall return. The proposed socket is shown in the image below:

Socket.jpg

Is it ok to do this, or would you advise against it?

Thank you!

Make your mind up, are you a DIYer or an electrician, you can't be both.

Heat rises, so no any heat from tbe radiator will not affect the socket which is below the hight of the radiator.

Biggest concern is how are you going to run the cables to that socket?

Need to stay in safe zones, and ensure rcd protection for the new socket.

Easiest place would be back to back from another socket on either side of a wall.

Is that an outside door on the right?

Hi guys,

I am a DIY electrician and I need some electrical safety advice. Due to space constraints, I am looking to potentially put a single switched socket next to a wall mounted oil filled radiator.

My concern is the heat from the radiator melting the proposed socket creating melting plastic fumes. The socket would be located 11cm away from the radiator on a wall return. The proposed socket is shown in the image below:

View attachment 102300

Is it ok to do this, or would you advise against it?

Thank you!

You do realise there is an fcu closer to the heater already.

If that one survives then one a little further away will.

However, the proposed location looks a little exposed, and difficult to get cables to, where are the cables coming from?

It's likely the fcu is on a dedicated heating circuit, perhaps on a timer so would be unsuitable for branching off.

Does the circuit you are taking this proposed socket outlet have rcd Protection?

If that's an external door then it's absolutely mandatory, and technically mandatory anyhow.

As all the above^^^^

When adding additional sockets many considerations need to be made: location, cable routes, circuit protection, shock protection, ratings, suitability of the existing circuit, condition of the existing circuit, accessibility, intended use, testing, certification...

Sometimes a job that seems simple at the outset, once investigated can end up quite complicated.

Why should they?. It only applies to new build or substantially altered properties.
Well aware of that, but I'd still expect it to come up.
What we can see in the pic. looks like it's seen a lot of work since Part M came about, and for all we know, the sockets in the property may well be 450-1200mm

Yes, my mistake.

But also important to note that in the case of material alterations the new work only needs to be no less compliant with part M than it was prior to the wokr taking place.
Exactly so, and I would interpret that as if any of the existing sockets are 450-1200, then fitting a new one outside of that would reduce the proportion that comply, and so leave the property less compliant.

Reply to Can I put a single socket next to a radiator? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net