Discuss Can you fit a timer for a towel rail in the bathroom in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

u0362565

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

It seems to be normal practice to mount electric timers outside the bathroom, but so long as its outside zone 2 a towel rail timer can be inside the bathroom? I'd rather have it inside the bathroom than visible in the hall.

We're planning to have the towel rail less than 60cm horizontal from the shower area which is a walk in, as this is in zone 2 can the towel rail go there? I couldn't find any info on whether the rail has an IP rating but it has 400W output.

Thanks for the help.

What do the manufacturers instructions say about mounting in bathrooms ie the zones and the towel rails IP rating?
The IP rating will be written on the instructions and on the plate/product information same place usually as the info given for the rating of the rail ie 400 w

The more important questions are where you intend to place the connections for the towel rail and the timer

This also could fall under Part P and the circuit WILL need RCD protection too.

The thing with a towel rail is it generally takes a while to warm up so 'on' times would have to allow for this. You may be better off fitting a thermostatic control which many towel rail manufacturers offer as an option- generally attached to the element assembly at the point of connection.

Just had a look, the electric element is rated to IP55 so I think this means it can be placed anywhere in zone 2 in theory. The towel rail will be protected by RCD but won't be on its own circuit-Not sure what defines the circuit but the MCB at least will cut the power to multiple things.

Could fit the timer in the cupboard next door to the bathroom I guess to keep it out the way

could put it on a photocell so it only fires up after dark.a bit like my ex. countess dracula.

31f5dEeokqL._AC_US218_.jpg

Reply to Can you fit a timer for a towel rail in the bathroom in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net