Discuss can't believe what i saw today in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

crow11

-
Reaction score
Hi all not posted for a while been busy and going through a divorce:hurray:
been to a job today to fit alarm system, in a new build just been finished,
opened c/u to find neutral tails done in 10 x 2.5mm singles all crammed in and earth done in about 6 x 2.5mm singles,
these run for about 6 meters from isolator at the front of the house then through the house to c/u, can't see where or how they are run.

Then i go into the detached garage to find a 2 way c/u on the wall with 100A main switch, but i didn't see anything at the house c/u for garage, so after a good look around, finds the swa from garage going into an adaptable box at back of house connected to the back of a socket on the downstairs ring, and where the swa goes into the garage they have bent it at that much of an angle all the outer sheath as split,

so i asked to look at the cert for the house and they can't even get that right got the mcbs listed as 10ka instead of 6ka, so i am guessing everything else is made up,

the owners have had a word with the site supervisor and he is getting 1 of the electricians to come round and have a look, because he can't take another electricians word for it lol

could quite possibly be hard to tell as it's stripped back to behind the to behind consumer unit, and in the meter box there is about 10 rolls of insulation tape round it all, must admit never seen that cable before, the main concern is just the quality of the workmanship, but they don't seem to care these days

Hi all not posted for a while been busy and going through a divorce:hurray:
been to a job today to fit alarm system, in a new build just been finished,
opened c/u to find neutral tails done in 10 x 2.5mm singles all crammed in and earth done in about 6 x 2.5mm singles,
these run for about 6 meters from isolator at the front of the house then through the house to c/u, can't see where or how they are run.

Then i go into the detached garage to find a 2 way c/u on the wall with 100A main switch, but i didn't see anything at the house c/u for garage, so after a good look around, finds the swa from garage going into an adaptable box at back of house connected to the back of a socket on the downstairs ring, and where the swa goes into the garage they have bent it at that much of an angle all the outer sheath as split,

so i asked to look at the cert for the house and they can't even get that right got the mcbs listed as 10ka instead of 6ka, so i am guessing everything else is made up,

the owners have had a word with the site supervisor and he is getting 1 of the electricians to come round and have a look, because he can't take another electricians word for it lol

Could have been an industrial sparks and was using the BS 60947-2 standard................ I'll get my coat

.....opened c/u to find neutral tails done in 10 x 2.5mm singles all crammed in and earth done in about 6 x 2.5mm singles,
As Overskilled says this sounds like it might be split concentric cabling. The other stuff like splitting the insulation when bending the cable, incorrect assessment of KA ratings etc just sounds like cowboys.

Does is look like this? By the way i did not install this before i get the blame for it!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1435768753746.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 323
Surely this would be terminated in the DNO cutout so shouldn't be connected to the CU

I've seen at least one install where its split concentric from the cutout to the CU (with separate earth and neutral cores)
Think it was done to make it easier to pull it through the floor void and prob cheaper than buying separate tails and earth for the distance it covered.

Whats at the other end of this cable , perhaps photo would be good ...

If it looks this bad here just wondering what the other end is like ..

Last edited by a moderator:
yes pretty much the same, only these enter from the back of c/u and its like spaghetti junction,
never seen this kind of cable before so it took me by surprise when i saw it,
this is a 250k house and everything just looks bodged up,
hate to see what the rest of the houses look like, going to post a pic of another job on a 12 year old house next door to my mates where i have just fitted a shower, no one as been in the c/u since it was built and you will be shocked as to how the c/u is wired up, will post it on a separate thread shortly

Hi Crow...

Nice to see you back. I still remember the stickers you sent me through the post. Top chap! :smile5:

Does is look like this? By the way i did not install this before i get the blame for it!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

We were actually told that it was perfectly acceptable to install showers and the like that way as you can add all the ccc of the cables together. Not the way I'd do things personally but there you go.

Reply to can't believe what i saw today in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net