Discuss Caution warning in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dave Appleby

-
Arms
Reaction score
To anyone in the Fife area.

Went to view a job yesterday for a renovation of a takeaway in Buckhaven.

Place is a nightmare. Bare T&E hanging. Smashed grid switches. Bare cores showing on grills and fryers. Open patt boxes.

Wanted quotes. I offered an EICR first as visual had already alarmed me.
Two shops knocked into one. One 3 phase board one single. Nothing marked.

Refused EICR as too expensive.

Wanted me to quote on what's needed and couldn't I just tape up the hanging T&E?

Caution advised.
[automerge]1588423386[/automerge]
To anyone in the Fife area.

Went to view a job yesterday for a renovation of a takeaway in Buckhaven.

Place is a nightmare. Bare T&E hanging. Smashed grid switches. Bare cores showing on grills and fryers. Open patt boxes.

Wanted quotes. I offered an EICR first as visual had already alarmed me.
Two shops knocked into one. One 3 phase board one single. Nothing marked.

Refused EICR as too expensive.

Wanted me to quote on what's needed and couldn't I just tape up the hanging T&E?

Caution advised.
Can someone move thread if inappropriate

Ta

Dave

Why would you want to do an EICR if the place is being renovated?

Basically. It is suffering from water damage.
They want to patch up existing installation ot rewire as not prepared to pay.

Existing is a nightmare so I decided full inspection was best option.

At least 3 C1 faults visible.

Open to any other suggestions however, wasn't going to spend a day working for free with no guarantee of the job after plus. I really really didn't like being told that I should appreciate the work at the moment.

Have put observations in writing along with customer declined.

Anything else anyone thinks?

Cheers.

Dave

I dont even think i would of bothered offering an eicr if it was that bad, no doubt it would be a complete can of worms, if you could visually see all those issues right away god knows whats under the bonnet!
i would of probably issued a danger notice, offered a full rewire with the additional works or walked

Pretty much my final response.
For the record, the C1's I spotted were.

Bare T&e hanging where light panels were with other lights in ceiling grid obviously live as they were on.

Smashed patt boxes with covers off.

Grills and fryers fed from holes bashed into the side of 50mm surface patt isolators. Outer sheath so far back LNE fully visible.

12 way grid switch bashed in.

When I pointed out the light cables they told me not to worry as I could just tape it up.

Out of there faster than a Whippet with a bum full of dynamite.

Just didn't want anyone else wasting time.

Regards

Dave

I would always try and cover my back.

Take a few photos, get an email address and tell them you will send something in

If they don't want to know send an electrical danger notice to cover your back then if the place burns down or someone gets hurt you are in the clear.

You could of course just quote for the work they asked for. You could also put in the caveat that other work needed to make safe would be extra. But surely a good look around and pricing on what you see is possible. I have repaired worse installations, and although the cost was not far from a rewire, work is work is it not? Maybe they will reject it maybe not. I just feel you are doing yourself out of work unnecessarily here. As to appliances that is not part of your remit. You could point out they need repair. But you are only there for the installation and with the additional protection of RCD they would no doubt have to repair their own appliances.

Reply to Caution warning in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net