Discuss change a corded switch to a NEON corded switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

johnst

In a bathroom I have a non neon corded switch which operates extractor fan.

I would like to change this to a NEON corded switch in bathroom.

Is this a job for a qualified electrician or is it a straightforward job for DIYer?

Changing a light switch is straight forward, but there are many ways to go horribly wrong. Bathrooms are considered a special location due to increased risks from electricity and so for your safety, I would recommend an electrician. While they are there you might ask them to take a look at any other things you may need. All the best, David.

Neon corded light switches aren't the easiest to get hold of. I have a stash of crabtree retractive pull cord switches which I connect between fan l and fan switched l which activates the fan for the pre-set time period (usually between 1-20 mins). Being retractive switches the fan cannot be left on accidentally.
As others have stated, safest to get an electrician in to advise and sort

In my opinion, the sole fact you have to come and ask if you can do it, to me means you probably shouldn't. It could end up costing you a lot more if you try and it goes wrong, and i don't just mean money. Surely its worth paying up to £50 to have it done properly?

another consideration is that there's probability of there not being a Neutral at the switch, in which case the neon will not work.

Reply to change a corded switch to a NEON corded switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all, Just a quick one, I want to use an ip rated light switch with a neon indicator to manually ovveride a PIR detector controlling an e27 LED...
Replies
Views
I’m replacing an old 100mm extractor fan in the kitchen with a new one. The old one was a pull cord fan whereas I bought a timer one (no pull...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm a hobbyist without formal training. I'm looking to power audio/video equipment over several hundred feet of extension cords. I have 2...
Replies
Views
Thinking a 240V AC relay activated by two independent light switches could be used to switch power to a shared inline extractor fan. The fan...
Replies
Views
i have a toilet compartment and a separate adjacent shower room and i am fitting one remote extract fan, via a Y splitter to ventilate both rooms...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock