Discuss Changing light switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

I want to add a light to my attic.
There is a single switch on the landing that I want to change to a double switch and then use it to still operate the landing light but also the new light in the attic.

I can easily run a cable from the attic to this switch but I am a little confused on the wiring.
So at the moment there is a switch at the bottom of the stairs and also on the landing that operates the same landing light.

the landing switch has COM, L1 and L2 all with wires in. Picture attached.

New 2 gang switch has COM1, L11, L12+ COM2, L21, L22.

If I copy the current wiring over to the 2 gang switch that would leave me with COM 2, L21, L22 empty.

How do I connect the new attic light to this?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20240103_175415.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 21
Is there anything I can do to operate the new light from this switch?

What other options do I have?

Picking up a supply shouldn't be too difficult, although I'd advise involving an electrician to do this (or at least work with you) as there are a few factors involved in extended an existing circuit that can not be completed without fairly expensive test equipment which every electrician should have to hand.

Is there anything I can do to operate the new light from this switch?

What other options do I have?
I wasn't sure when I read your OP due to my being an American electrician and the EU's strange color code for cable wires and the wonky way what we call 3-way switches (you call them 2-way) so I stayed mum, but this question comes up on American electrical boards all the time. And the answer is the same - you have what we call a dead-end switch, meaning it has no neutral. You need a neutral and a constant live supply in order to add another switch and light to the location and unfortunately, you don't have that. Surely somewhere in your attic you have access to a junction box or constant live lighting cable from which to draw power?

Thanks for the replies.

There are numerous junctions boxes in the attic. So i would be better off making a spur off one of the junction boxes and fitting a switch in the attic to run to the new light?

I only wanted to go to the existing switch on the landing for convenience really so would have no problem fitting a switch in the attic itself if that's my only option.

“Numerous junction boxes” ???

From the colour of cables, and the use of styling box, is this a newish build house? I wouldn’t expect junction boxes unless a lot of rewiring/ alterations have taken place.

If it is new, then I would expect neutrals at any other upstairs bedroom switch.

Thanks for the replies.

There are numerous junctions boxes in the attic. So i would be better off making a spur off one of the junction boxes and fitting a switch in the attic to run to the new light?

I only wanted to go to the existing switch on the landing for convenience really so would have no problem fitting a switch in the attic itself if that's my only option.
It's a doddle when you know what you're doing, a couple of hours work for a spark and most of that testing before and after then preparing the certification. I don't do domestic work but I don't think it would require local authority notification but you will need a Minor Electrical Works Certificate.

It's is very easy to lose track of lighting wiring if you are unsure of what your doing and this is when all the wiring is to 'Regs' and correctly identified.

You wont get a step by step walk through as one, it's not permitted by the site and two, it's impossibly difficult without having the wires in front of you with test gear in hand.

Get a spark in.

“Numerous junction boxes” ???

From the colour of cables, and the use of styling box, is this a newish build house? I wouldn’t expect junction boxes unless a lot of rewiring/ alterations have taken place.

If it is new, then I would expect neutrals at any other upstairs bedroom switch.
The house is 15 years old. Previous owner has fitted spotlights in a lot of the rooms.

I have found 4 Junction boxes in the attic when lifting some of the insulation.

The house is 15 years old. Previous owner has fitted spotlights in a lot of the rooms.

It would be worth checking that cables into these junction boxes are securely fixed, either by cable clips or junction boxes with cord grips.

To DIY when you know what you're doing is one thing, but going on a mission to get step-by-step instructions and complete hand-holding over the internet when you have no idea what you're doing is a fool's errand, and clearly not permitted on this site. I suggest you heed @GBDamo's words above in post #8 above:
"You wont get a step by step walk through as one, it's not permitted by the site and two, it's impossibly difficult without having the wires in front of you with test gear in hand.

Get a spark in."

To DIY when you know what you're doing is one thing, but going on a mission to get step-by-step instructions and complete hand-holding over the internet when you have no idea what you're doing is a fool's errand, and clearly not permitted on this site. I suggest you heed @GBDamo's words above in post #8 above:
"You wont get a step by step walk through as one, it's not permitted by the site and two, it's impossibly difficult without having the wires in front of you with test gear in hand.

Get a spark in."
Jesus I only asked a simple question. Get off your high horse!!! I'm not a child that needs telling off.

I will decide it I need a spark in not you or anyone else. What's the point in having a forum to ask questions when people like you reply with a stupid answer like that.

• Dislike
Reactions: DPG
Jesus I only asked a simple question. Get off your high horse!!! I'm not a child that needs telling off.

I will decide it I need a spark in not you or anyone else. What's the point in having a forum to ask questions when people like you reply with a stupid answer like that.

No need for attitude like that.

Sorry I'm not telling you off, don't shoot the messenger. Surely there are online DIY help forums that can assist you? I'm to understand this forum is an electrician's forum, not a "DIYer seeking to pick the brains of experienced professionals for free so I don't have to pay a professional" forum. Good luck with your project.

Sorry I'm not telling you off, don't shoot the messenger. Surely there are online DIY help forums that can assist you? I'm to understand this forum is an electrician's forum, not a "DIYer seeking to pick the brains of experienced professionals for free so I don't have to pay a professional" forum. Good luck with your project.
Let's just pay a "professional " to do everything..... whats the point of DIY ey?

To be fair we do have a DIY section on here, but this thread isn't in it.

But even in the DIY thread it's still unlikely step by step instructions would be given out.

To be fair we do have a DIY section on here, but this thread isn't in it.

But even in the DIY thread it's still unlikely step by step instructions would be given out.
Who is asking for a step by step?

And because i got it in the wrong section means people can't help me. Are you for real?

Who is asking for a step by step?

And because i got it in the wrong section means people can't help me. Are you for real?

Calm down. I was sticking up for you.

Hopefully an admin can move this thread to the DIY section.

Just to note, the forum is predominantly for the use of electricians.

As @DPG suggests let's calm down. @mattgriff88 can you access the DIY section some cannot as it is restricted, if it is moved however posts offering advice maybe restricted.

Reply to Changing light switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net