Discuss Check Screwfix Prices carefully in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

dksanders

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi All,
For my general bits and bobs I often buy from Screwfix as the quality is OK and the prices are usually reasonable and they're handy but more importantly, I get 1.5% of what I spend knocked off my combined utility bills so save £100's of pounds.

I recently needed some Adaptaflex steel flexible conduit and swivel adaptors. Screwfix' Electrafix Trade price was 5 times what you can get it for from TLC Direct non trade price! Massive over pricing.

It means I'm going to have to carefully check all Screwfix pricing now which will be a pain.

This is the reason I normally buy my MCBs and RCBOs from TLC, but overall so far I've found it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

Although I tend to go for ScrewFix because it's much closer than my local TLC and the guys and gals at the Newport branch make a great cup of coffee :)

the coffee in the Bristol branch is notoriously bad - pour down the drain bad. I'll use Screwfix if my wholesaler is closed - they do a strict 8-5 and closed on Saturday!

Hi All,
For my general bits and bobs I often buy from Screwfix as the quality is OK and the prices are usually reasonable and they're handy but more importantly, I get 1.5% of what I spend knocked off my combined utility bills so save £100's of pounds.

I recently needed some Adaptaflex steel flexible conduit and swivel adaptors. Screwfix' Electrafix Trade price was 5 times what you can get it for from TLC Direct non trade price! Massive over pricing.

It means I'm going to have to carefully check all Screwfix pricing now which will be a pain.

Hi bud,so £100's is plural,so £[email protected]%=£13,000 on "bits and bobs"...they should be serving you Douwe Egbert and truffles,at the counter...;)

I just wonder how long it has taken the OP to work this out. Before Screwfix and Toolstation all the wholesalers had different pricing and still do. In the days of list price less your discount it was a bit more transparent but wholesalers now seem to be moving away from that to nett pricing which makes a quick comparison more difficult without making time consuming phone calls. Screwfix are playing the convenience card with a higher price V's fuel and time taken to travel to your preferred cheaper supplier

Screwfix are either very competitive for most items but way out on some imo.

At least you can easily get a price though. Some traditional wholesalers make it as difficult as possible to get a price from them quickly. Even if you go in there in person its often a case of the stores lad tapping about on the keyboard for 5 minutes before going to see the manager and eventually getting a price. FFS I've got a job to get to!

Agree with that one @mattg4321, good when you do get a sweet price though.
Always good to get printed quote to take away, good for invoicing as well.
I also like my 94% discount on conduit!

I just wonder how long it has taken the OP to work this out. Before Screwfix and Toolstation all the wholesalers had different pricing and still do. In the days of list price less your discount it was a bit more transparent but wholesalers now seem to be moving away from that to nett pricing which makes a quick comparison more difficult without making time consuming phone calls. Screwfix are playing the convenience card with a higher price V's fuel and time taken to travel to your preferred cheaper supplier
Having used various suppliers in the past, I am well aware of the different pricing available from them. I admit I'd assumed that Screwfix pricing was pretty close to the norm but even so, a five fold difference, that's just not reasonable.

Screwfix are either very competitive for most items but way out on some imo.

At least you can easily get a price though. Some traditional wholesalers make it as difficult as possible to get a price from them quickly. Even if you go in there in person its often a case of the stores lad tapping about on the keyboard for 5 minutes before going to see the manager and eventually getting a price. FFS I've got a job to get to!

I recently asked City Electrical factors via their online site for a quote for a surface mount 100A generator change over switch, they came back with £245 + VAT, again, from TLC £58 + VAT, when challenged they replied "we might have over engineered your solution" !

I think you just have to shop around. Its like supermarkets, they have lost leaders and because you are there you end up buying everything there because its easier. I use screw fix most of the time as I have found them to be very reasonable with most things. I get my cable from TradePoint as it works out cheaper and I buy lighting online as that works out cheaper too. A lot of the online outlets are cheap if you have time to order and wait for dleivery.

I just priced up 2 new build full fit outs and screwfix worked out £150 cheaper overall than CEF. I told my account manager this at City's and he didn't reply to my email. Thats customer service for you...

If you use screwfix a lot then ask to speak with the manager they will price check any item of the same brand and if its cheaper in TLC or any other wholesaler they will match and even beat the prices with evidence of the other wholesalers prices. I have used this several times and it saves travelling to different wholesalers for the best price.

Reply to Check Screwfix Prices carefully in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock