Discuss CheckaTrade | MyBuilder | RatedPeople | TrustaTrader etc - Who's with what and why? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I've been through quite a few '3rd party' on line vetting agenices, and worked for a number of '3rd party' national maintenance companies were I am.

I've concluded them a waste of time, and so we have a 'no 3rd parties' clause now

~S~
[automerge]1576018670[/automerge]
I guess that's a bit terse of a reply.

The trades were proliferated with all manner of internet 3rd parties here after the last housing crash

They knew we were hungry, would sign onto anything

The problem is, they not only started vetting us, they evolved to creating standards for us as well

It got a tad to 'big brother' for many of us you see

~S~

Oooo we haven't quite got that far yet here. They don't check anything at all but say on their marketing and adverts online that they do.

Leading to disco Dave's who can wire their DJ equipment up well thinking they can now install solar panels and house rewires. And they don't get taken off the rate my bodge it and dodge it type website they just won't send the link to leave a review to the ones they know will leave bad feedback on their listing.

Very flawed.

But wouldn't like it go the other way either.

Never used,or wanted to use,any of these carry-ons. They all work on the principle of hope and dilution.

I respect that some others may have had some luck,but i would not recommend anyone,especially those at the start of their SE journey,to sign up,with a very hungry flea who steers the host,to some of the worst customers possible... :)

It’s word of mouth mainly with me. Existing friends have passed my details on.
I do have a Facebook page, and a website but don’t use any of the above3rd party services.
Too many scare stories on this forum about them.
I’ve joined nextdoor.co.uk just because one customer heard about me on there.

First post on these forums so first let me say hi.

Hi.

I'm technically a contractor so I always have work on the books - sometimes up to 18 months ahead so the last thing I should do is tout for more work (you start by trying to please everyone and end up pleasing no-one). However, a good friend who is gas safe guy uses trustatrader and checkatrade and he gets shedloads of work from both (nowadays mainly checkatrade as his rating is very high) so for individuals I can see how any of the options that give you more back than you give to them could be a good thing.

But there's a hitch: my friend is absolutely pants at what he does and only gets to look good by asking me and other quality tradesmen to do the work for him that is outside his expertise (that's about everything beyond soldering) so I personally think that there can't ever be a level playing field for subscribers. If you can get 5 stars for being shonky, I'm inclined to forget these companies even exist and prefer, like others have mentioned, to rely on recommendations and your own, personal advertising.

That's my tuppence and may I add that I'm very happy to be here with the civilised folk.

First post on these forums so first let me say hi.

Hi.

I'm technically a contractor so I always have work on the books - sometimes up to 18 months ahead so the last thing I should do is tout for more work (you start by trying to please everyone and end up pleasing no-one). However, a good friend who is gas safe guy uses trustatrader and checkatrade and he gets shedloads of work from both (nowadays mainly checkatrade as his rating is very high) so for individuals I can see how any of the options that give you more back than you give to them could be a good thing.

But there's a hitch: my friend is absolutely pants at what he does and only gets to look good by asking me and other quality tradesmen to do the work for him that is outside his expertise (that's about everything beyond soldering) so I personally think that there can't ever be a level playing field for subscribers. If you can get 5 stars for being shonky, I'm inclined to forget these companies even exist and prefer, like others have mentioned, to rely on recommendations and your own, personal advertising.

That's my tuppence and may I add that I'm very happy to be here with the civilised folk.
Welcome aboard and thanks for posting!

Hi
I joined this forum more for advice from qualified sparkies. I’m not a qualified electrician, and the work I do is mainly like for like replacements for friends and family, and the odd additional socket in, or spur from, a ring mains. As such, I don’t use any such sites.
Cheers
Jon

I have never used them no need if you do a good clean job, charge a proper price and treat you customer with respect you will get all your work from recommendation. I did for 35Years.
In my early days I tried My Builder and Rated People. You have got to start SOMEWHERE to build the fabled word-of-mouth that everyone talks about. Both were a poor return. Race to the bottom prices and on occasions, I'd call a client, having paid for the contact, and discover the job wasn't worth anybody's time (repair a standard lamp). My profiles ticked all the boxes (photo's, reviews etc) but lost to price; the thing that really mattered.

I have heard a few good comments about Check-a-trade (one of the threads above is mine) but JEEZ! They need to review their fees 'cos I can't see they are worth it.

My cheapest work winner is a sign written van, followed by recommendation from friends or when I do a little job well. In the very early days; it's tough!

Also, you tend to drive nicely when your name and number are in bloody great letters on the van ;)
We use our own Website and a local Internet marketing company to help promote our website for natural listings. We have been advised against the rating sites like that because they charge money for membership. any company does that will prioritise cash flow above all else. We were always advised to think what would I do in this situation and more often than not if you need something now you search on Google direct from your phone. I would chose a link relevant to my search rather than a website that requires further searches. It has worked well for us. but nothing beats good word of mouth for business so always go that extra mile for a client and they will remember.
Hi Dan,
Fortunately never had to use any.
As others have said,I’ve heard good and bad regarding most of them.
If I have a quiet spell I normally stick an add in the local rag,and it brings in the small jobs to fill the diary up.
Another vote for word of mouth.
I've added word of mouth to the options. :) You're allowed multiple choice too.
[automerge]1576065015[/automerge]
Didn't know you were on here David, long time viewer, rare commenter, keep up the good vids, always give me a laugh
Or me! @dseselectric welcome aboard. :)

Hi,i think that adding the "word of mouth" option,part way through the job,may skew results,slightly.

...Not that any of us,in this land,are phased by election or referendum confusion... ;)

I have met a fair few lads,who have said at one time or other,one of the mentioned pyramid schemes,had accounted for a large proportion of their work.

Most have admitted it was not worth the cost/hassle,and withdrew after a while.

It goes without saying,if you are signed up,some of the "customers" will use this knowledge,to drag in tradespeople,who would normally get that tingle,and swerve them.

Hi,i think that adding the "word of mouth" option,part way through the job,may skew results,slightly.

...Not that any of us,in this land,are phased by election or referendum confusion... ;)

I have met a fair few lads,who have said at one time or other,one of the mentioned pyramid schemes,had accounted for a large proportion of their work.

Most have admitted it was not worth the cost/hassle,and withdrew after a while.

It goes without saying,if you are signed up,some of the "customers" will use this knowledge,to drag in tradespeople,who would normally get that tingle,and swerve them.
People can change their votes and remove or add other votes as and when they please.

I did say to let me know if there were any more to add. It was mainly online marketing but word of mouth a few people said so I added it. Only a few mind.

Having run my own limited company in the past (i've now retired) I used continuous newspaper advertising. The local clients (when asked how they found us) always said that "you are always in the paper" or "so & so said that you were good".
Thompson Local and Yell persistantly got our phone number wrong so never used them after the second time they got it wrong.

Having learn't that the Guild of Master Craftsmen's logo for a vehicle could be just purchased from them without any checks being done, and any advertising could put that logo on without any checks being made, I ignore that logo totally.
I did not believe it at first, so I tried it myself using a pseudonym, calling myself a Tree Surgeon (as far away from computing as I could think) and use a c/o address. I don't remember how much it cost me, but it was not a lot. All I did was fill out a form send it to them and a van sticker and paperwork duly arrived a week later.
I then had one of my employees ring them up to check if I was registered there, and they confirmed it. I have never believed that logo since.

In the past (whilst I was in business) I was asked several times to help 'build someones reputation' by writing how good they were. Unfortunately I did not agree with their opinion of how good they were, so I declined.
I have also been offered payments to write glowing reports about companies that I have never heard of and the work they do. Needless to say that did not happen.
I personally do not use such sites as the 'recommendations' on them are not reliable enough and are not always honest.

I avoid these websites as virtually all of my work comes through recommendation- word of mouth. But as I'm registered through Elecsa I'm also listed on the 'Trustmark' site, some customers have posted up some good reviews over the years and a few people contact me because of that, few and far between though.

Just an addition,to the debate,but i had Chekatrade leaflet drop through me door,today.

There are a large assortment of "approved" trades,alphabetically listed. Having lived in the area for my entire life,and liking to think i also have a finger on the pulse,so to speak,a great many were known.

Some are long standing outfits,2nd or 3rd generation,and sound.

But,there were around 6,who are charlatans,and would not be allowed anywhere near my circle of trust.

One mans view,in one area,but i would wager,not unique.

Just an addition,to the debate,but i had Chekatrade leaflet drop through me door,today.

There are a large assortment of "approved" trades,alphabetically listed. Having lived in the area for my entire life,and liking to think i also have a finger on the pulse,so to speak,a great many were known.

Some are long standing outfits,2nd or 3rd generation,and sound.

But,there were around 6,who are charlatans,and would not be allowed anywhere near my circle of trust.

One mans view,in one area,but i would wager,not unique.
That's the bloody problem with them. We never know who they are. Customer doesn't know the difference.

I have something in the pipeline for our tradesmen we know are good. It's going to be free for both the customer and trader. No ads.

Been long overdue.

@Dan
Can we have a ,,,,, I'm fantastic and dont need any of the above as an option ??

Reply to CheckaTrade | MyBuilder | RatedPeople | TrustaTrader etc - Who's with what and why? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock