Discuss Circuit Breakers help :-) in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, new member so please go gentle...
I have been in my newbuilt for a while now but this weekend was the first time I tried to fire the angle grinder and subsequently the hoover to do some work. As you would expect, I was using the garage power sockets. However, the circuit breaker kept tripping. Now as I understand it, both the angle grinder and the hoover have a high at least initial current draw. Having said that, you wouldn't expect them to trip the breaker.
So, there I go breaking out the commissioning paperwork, which proves interesting. Can someone confirm my understanding? (see files attached, one for paperwork and a pic of the circuit breaker box)The paperwork states that (from the left on the box picture) ratings are 32A, 32A, 16A, 6A, and 6A. The garage sockets are connected to the third circuit breaker - 16A. However, the 3rd breaker is a Schneider Resi9 B6 one, which from internet research is a 6A unit. This is the one that keeps tripping.
Interestingly or worryingly, in circuit B, the paperwork states 32A, 16A, 6A, 6A, 6A yet the breakers are 32A, 6A, 6A, 16A, 6A.
Can someone shed some light? Is this normal? Has the electrician ran out of breakers? Have they made a mistake?
Any response much appreciated!

20180624_185935.jpg

20180624_185924.jpg

Either circuit identification is incorrect but you also have the immersion on a 6A and one of the lighting circuits on a 16A. I would ignore that mess of a schedule and contact the builder.

Hi - an MCB of 6A type B rating isn't appropriate for a power outlet circuit. Being optimistic as it's the start of a new week, that will be easily fixed by changing the breaker and sorting out the labelling. But to tempt fate - if you turn that 6A MCB off, do any lights in the place stop working?

that will be easily fixed by changing the breaker and sorting out the labelling.

As long as the cable is adequate for the change in breaker size.. :) The report is a mess, I'd check to see what cable size is actually going to the garage.

think donald duck wrote that eic, qs was mickey mouse. eityr that or it was my indian gp wrote it.

Not that I can remember. The fridge powers down as expected and a number of other sockets too, but no lights. I suspect
Hi - an MCB of 6A type B rating isn't appropriate for a power outlet circuit. Being optimistic as it's the start of a new week, that will be easily fixed by changing the breaker and sorting out the labelling. But to tempt fate - if you turn that 6A MCB off, do any lights in the place stop working?

Not that I can remember. The fridge powers down as expected and a number of other sockets too, but no lights. I will check when I return at home later.

How many pages do you have on this certificate?

It looks a bit amateur

Can you post a picture of the fuseboard?

How many pages do you have on this certificate?

It looks a bit amateur

Can you post a picture of the fuseboard?

The fuse board is posted in the first post. There are 3 or 4 pages I think. I can post the rest when I get back home.

The fuse board is posted in the first post. There are 3 or 4 pages I think. I can post the rest when I get back home.

Thanks.

Sounds like the EIC is short of a few pages

And the CU it's not the best is it.

Best you get the developer and electricians back to sort this out.

Where in the UK are you?

I am in Bedford - the developer was Morris Homes and we had no end of problems with them.

If that certificate is a reflection of their "quality" I'm not in the least surprised you are having problems with them....

I would start by switching all the MCBs off, and then switch them on one at a time and go round the house making a note of what each one supplies. Something has clearly gone seriously wrong between the actual circuits, the EIC, and the MCBs that have been installed as none of it matches.

Once you know what MCB does what, you will know how many circuits have been mislabeled. I would then demand they get someone independant in to come and put it right and make sure all the circuits are wired correctly and in the correct size cable, otherwise you could have some potentially dangerous wiring, cabable of causing a fire in the event of a fault. If they refuse to get someone independant, I would push for the superviser or QS from the company they used.

Reply to Circuit Breakers help :-) in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net