Discuss City & Guilds Qualifications in the 80's in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ahh it was so straightforward in those days turning out correctly trained electricians.

I have my original quals from 1964 All UEI certs think that may have been prior to C&G Years 1234and 5 although 4 and 5 are turned to dust the other 3 have been laminated, a collecters item maybe just like the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Ahh it was so straightforward in those days turning out correctly trained electricians.
It was YTS then and you were not employed by the company you worked at it was a placement. You were under a training provider so you did one day a week at college and the rest at work placement if the current work placement only did domestic they could put you at a company that did tray trunking etc. you had to spend a week at the training providers office doing computer studies and then another week doing C.V. 's and other work associated things.

Day release in my day was like School only you didn't wear a uniform, mess around and you were sent to the Principle, homework assignments were the norm, slide rules, drawing skills, electro Technology, Regulations and Workshop assignments, which were checked before you were allowed to energise the project, tools counted in and out, any losses and you paid through your Firm, which in many cases they then took it out of your wages, when scientific calculators came out we even had an hours lesson on how to use them. If you were late for Lectures by more than a couple of minutes you got sent back to your place of work, hard, but it was a lesson learned well, turned many from Jack the Lad into sensible Apprentices.

Day release in my day was like School only you didn't wear a uniform, mess around and you were sent to the Principle, homework assignments were the norm, slide rules, drawing skills, electro Technology, Regulations and Workshop assignments, which were checked before you were allowed to energise the project, tools counted in and out, any losses and you paid through your Firm, which in many cases they then took it out of your wages, when scientific calculators came out we even had an hours lesson on how to use them. If you were late for Lectures by more than a couple of minutes you got sent back to your place of work, hard, but it was a lesson learned well, turned many from Jack the Lad into sensible Apprentices.
I think the only thing we didn't do in that list Pete was sliding rules and not so much on Workshop only really MICC as you did this at your work placement (if you were on the full-time course you did workshop).

I think the only thing we didn't do in that list Pete was sliding rules and not so much on Workshop only really MICC as you did this at your work placement (if you were on the full-time course you did workshop).
I learnt more about MICC and how to handle at work, infact, I got so good at it (blowing own trumpet) I was helping out Guys who had never seen MICC. Was a bit of a MICC Guru, thanks to Pete O my Mentor.

I did my 236 part 1 and 2 then looked at the C course but got side tracked and did a ONC BS Elec. I should have done this lot 10 years earlier but was too busy enjoying the low life .......

It was YTS then and you were not employed by the company you worked at it was a placement. You were under a training provider so you did one day a week at college and the rest at work placement if the current work placement only did domestic they could put you at a company that did tray trunking etc. you had to spend a week at the training providers office doing computer studies and then another week doing C.V. 's and other work associated things.
Yes, YTS, the start of the downfall of apprenticeship schemes, Maggie thatchers baby.!!:mad:

It depends upon who your placement was with, to be fair me and the other lad were paid a bit extra on top of the YTS money and we knew we were being taken on after it finished not like a lot of companies who used it as cheap labour and got rid after the end of the scheme .

Reply to City & Guilds Qualifications in the 80's in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net