Discuss Class 1 fittings in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

grumpyjohn01

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I am working with a lighting designer at the moment producing custom light fittings for a restaurant chain. Most of his designs are raw metal (steel, copper,brass) welded or riveted together with brass lampholders and 'vintage ' 3c flexes. All the lampholders are earthed via their dedicated terminals and are fixed to the fittings via 2 brass shade rings either side of a hole in raw metal. Tightened with a wrench I am achieving very good earth continuity to the whole fitting. Does the panel think a separate earthing terminal is required elsewhere on the metalwork? Instinctively I think yes, but as I say cont is v good and the onsite contractor fitting them is satisfied so......? thoughts please !

The 3core flex you're using I'm guessing is external to the fitting, as you're fitting 'vintage'

So in answer to your question, although i'm not sure if i've disected your OP properly, is Yes ... otherwise how else are you going to connect the earth that comes out of the ceiling ? Have you got access to the nut and bolt when installing the fitting?

Also you say you're drilling holes in these fittings ... you have to be careful with ridged edges and flexes, grommets probably will be required.

Also, are your fittings BS ? And are the flexes also ?

So basically you are making a metal lampshade which fits onto a lampholder the same as any other lampshade?
If that's the case then it won't need earthing.

Surely the answer will depend on what EN standard you are manufacturing light fittings to; this is generally EN60598 in the UK - do you have a copy?

The 3core flex you're using I'm guessing is external to the fitting, as you're fitting 'vintage'

So in answer to your question, although i'm not sure if i've disected your OP properly, is Yes ... otherwise how else are you going to connect the earth that comes out of the ceiling ? Have you got access to the nut and bolt when installing the fitting?

Also you say you're drilling holes in these fittings ... you have to be careful with ridged edges and flexes, grommets probably will be required.

Also, are your fittings BS ? And are the flexes also ?

All the electrical parts are high quality & to the relevant standards and yes the flexes are external. All the holes are laser cut with radiused edges . 'The earth that comes from the ceiling' as you quaintly put it is connected to the lampholder & the lampholder is connected to the metalwork (via its body and shade rings) or 'shade' as I am now going to equally quaintly call it!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I suppose I was wondering if they even qualify as light fittings if the flexes and lampholders are external as such and the lampholders just mount as a shade would do. I guess a study of EN whatever will tell me that..

Thanks for the info on the relevant standard, I shall order one immediately, unless anybody has a link to a pdf?!

It's not cheap but it should give you all the information you need - BS EN 60598-1:2008 - Luminaires . General requirements and tests ? BSI British Standards

Attention will also need to be paid to how you will test your end product - multimeters/PAT testers don't generally offer the specifications needed to comply with manufacturing standards like the above.

just had a peep and looks like its been updated to :2015 and cost a ton and a half!! blimey! I think I shall be referring to the 'luminaires' as 'shades' for the moment at least! Thanks!

Reply to Class 1 fittings in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net