Discuss colour blindness ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

On my first day at college during the first year of my apprenticeship (26 years ago) everyone did a colour blindness test. One of the guys failed it and got moved to a bricky apprenticeship.
As well as mains cable there is also data,telecoms,alarms,controls wiring to think about.

When I started my training one of the first things they did before enrolment was a colour vision test.
As sarky spark says once you get onto the job it isn't just brown, black, grey, red, blue, yellow, green & yellow - you could be expected to work with multicore cables with all sorts of colours. With certain cables I've had trouble distinguishing between brown and orange or pink and red, and I'm not even colour blind.

Years ago when going for apprenticeships with large companies on of the tests was the Isihara colour blindness test which was coloured balls with a number inside, if you couldn't read the number then goodbye apprenticeship that was for them all.

I know it's not funny but could you imagine a colour blind painter.

I sometimes have trouble separating blue and green when they are toward the turquoise mix (what I see as bluish, others see as greenish).

Never had a problem with a colour test book or actual cables.

Mind you I do get a lot neutral to earth faults on my new installs...mmmmm :)

I've not been diagnosed as colour blind, although sometimes I'm not sure - I was working on this office refit with a guy who was supposedly a 'mate' but had been out of the game for a few years. Yeah one of those.
I went over to get my volt stick back off him and was confused as to what cable colours he was using - brown and very very very very very dark blue? Nah he'd found an old roll of black in the maintenance cupboard and used that instead of the blue we'd brought with us.

Am colour blind, was in my second year apprenticeship when they came across my green card stating I was colour blind. Got kick off the course straight away.

Now if I read the book of dots I can not do it, I can see colours ok all I can not do is see very very slight different shades which most people would not be able to see.

Had to go for a H&S test which cost me a weeks wages back then, did the test and pasted.

I found this on line:
Take the Ishihara Color Vision Test
We were talking about this at work the other day; apparently the first one is visible to everyone whether they're colour blind or not; it's to weed out people deliberately trying to fail the test. The next ones are randomly selected from a bank so you can't 'revise' for the test (cheat). I seem to remember whenever I've done it I haven't been able to see anything on the last slide - I suspect this may also be deliberate.

I know two colour blind electricians and they do not seem to have any problems. They are both green/brown/red colour blind. They're both qualified so they must have either passed any test they were given or there was no test.

I think its more down to how colour blind you are, so its up to you to decide if its a problem.

If you do have to have a test then I suggest these EnChroma | Color For The Color Blind or just search for chromagen glasses.

Colour blind tests just get you to distinguish shapes or numbers, which you must have taken as a child. The above glasses dont help you to know what the colour is but they do enable you to see the difference between the colours enabling you to pass the test.

Good luck.

.....that....is.....AMAZING!!!

Reply to colour blindness ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net