Discuss combi drill for apprentice? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
What drill would you recommend i get? Should i get a good drill such (i.e makita lxt range) or should i go for a cheaper option such as erbauer?

Also, are lithium batteries worth the extra money?

when i first started i got a got a cheap makita 18v 100 quid from screwifx with 3 batteries didnt last long i know have a makita lxt 18v and its a beast well worth the money never let me down and the bwlt clip has come very handy on it

depends on how much you have to spend really

and yes lithuim are def worth the extra

got the makita lxt combi hammer 3 speed with metal chuck... only has one battery... but with a 22min charge i dont mind that. How long would this one battery last me? as in time between recharges.. and how many recharges would it take before packing in? Would i need to get another drill during my apprenticeship? (most probably, yeah?)

got the makita lxt combi hammer 3 speed with metal chuck... only has one battery... but with a 22min charge i dont mind that. How long would this one battery last me? as in time between recharges.. and how many recharges would it take before packing in? Would i need to get another drill during my apprenticeship? (most probably, yeah?)

mine last quite a while but depends what im doing with it

i got 2 batterys with mine and i was lucky toget another battery and charger for 20 quid off a mate as his drill was nicked but didnt take them

are you still in first year

i got mine half way through 2nd year and im on my last now and its still going strong used most days aswel

only prob sometimes get is the controls sometimes stick

screwfix are doing a range called "site" which is rebranded makita but a lot cheaper .
a chippy we were working with the other day had just got one of their 14.4v drills with 2 batteries for £49 , he was very happy with ,its the spitting image of our makitas just a different colour

I don't agree with Makita being a "good" range of power tools...

I've had 2 Erbauer combi 18V drills - had to get my 1st replaced as the stage function of the trigger stopped working - was changed over next day by courier!
One of the guys I work with went out and bought himself an Erbauer after being so impressed with mine.

And another guy - who has had 2 Makita's in as many years... is next in line to get Erbauer gear when his Makita dies again!

i would call makita a good make for sure. Not used erbuarer, before though sound great, especially at the price. My new panasonic 14.4v combi sds is super and the matching impact is awesome, all for under 300 notes! :eek:

I don't agree with Makita being a "good" range of power tools...

I've had 2 Erbauer combi 18V drills - had to get my 1st replaced as the stage function of the trigger stopped working - was changed over next day by courier!
One of the guys I work with went out and bought himself an Erbauer after being so impressed with mine.

And another guy - who has had 2 Makita's in as many years... is next in line to get Erbauer gear when his Makita dies again!

Sorry but i cant agree with Erbauer being any good.

Had a Erbauer18v Combie when they came out and were a little more than they are now and it lasted all on 3 months. Just gave up and died, no warning or anything. Then bought the Erbauer ERB125Y 125mm Wall Chaser because of the good price and thinking maybe i had bad luck with the combie drill. This lasted for 1 job!!!!! Didnt get to finish the last chase before it burnt out.

I now own the range of Makita LXT gear, Combie drill, Impact driver, Torch, Circ Saw, Grinder and Reciprocating Saw.
Found here: Makita LXT600 18V Li-ion 6Pc Kit - screwflix..com, Where the Trade Buys

10 months on and its all still like new and GREAT gear. Allot of money on the outlay, but well worth it.

By the way swapped the Erbauer chaser for Sparky FK302 240V 125mm Wall Chaser
Sparky FK302 240V 125mm Wall Chaser - screwflix..com, Where the Trade Buys

Great kit and much better

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a lot of money for the Makita kit...!

My Erbauer is still going strong - wouldn't say I'm a die-hard heavy user but it doesn't just sit in the tool bag.

Have heard the wall chaser isn't designed for hardcore usage... but after one job...!

Have to agree that Makita are very good.

But then they should be considering how much they are.

Had one problem in many years, and that was rectified with a new unit direct from Makita.

Mine gets abused, sorry, used daily and it never misses a beat.

Exhibits A, B and C below..

Oh, and they bounce well too!

Buy cheap, buy twice IMO.

combi drill for apprentice? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to combi drill for apprentice? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock