Discuss Comsumer change and nice little extra. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

StevieTee

Went to view a consumer unit change today. I turned up, nice couple and nice house.

I get pointed to this small little cupboard under the stairs and asked if I could go about pricing a new consumer unit and making it all look tidy. I have a little quick look and find this....

Far from the worst I have seen.

At the back of the consumer unit, there is a 4'x4' metal box (not connected to the consumer unit) where all the singles head into metal conduit and then disappear to their individual points. There is no form of earthing going to the metal box or conduit from what I can see (was tight trying to have a look).

I haven't had a chance to do much else, only had time for a quick look, photos and then away.

Was thinking, connect up a earth to the metal back box, if the conduits are all connected well and get a good R2 at all points happy days?

Nice new split RCD board.

No bonding to gas and water...great.

So, along with the change over, I've got the gas and water bonding, they asked if I could price their kitchen as they are having a new one fitted and wanted things moved around and price a supply to their garage (only couple of sockets and a light).

Simple change over turned into a few little extras. Lovely!

I am aware it's asbestos.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 271
  • image.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 230
  • image.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 224
  • image.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 223
  • image.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 224
Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at the pics I'd be surprised if you have cpc continuity on those circuits after all the years of possible diy sabotage the conduit will very likely have been chopped at some point breaking the cpc what are the circuits ? Cooker and lighting ??

Looking at the pics I'd be surprised if you have cpc continuity on those circuits after all the years of possible diy sabotage the conduit will very likely have been chopped at some point breaking the cpc what are the circuits ? Cooker and lighting ??

Circuits are cooker and lighting. The last one is a T&E, so thats fine. Well I've told the customer that, my plan was to earth the 4'x4' box behind the consumer unit, thus providing a cpc to the whole house (hopefully) through the metal conduit. But if the conduit has been messed about with and there isnt any cpc, then they would require a cpc to be pulled in to each point...somehow....

Got looks off of them as if I was trying to rob them...

Dealt with asbestos boards before, so no issues there.

Hopefully all goes to plan and this metal conduit works out to have a good CPC continuity.

If the buried conduit system is still intact and hasn't rusted significantly then you'll get very low R2 readings compared to the more usual wiring methods , if you are very lucky with the test results then be sure to fit leads from back box to sockets and any other metal accessories.

If the buried conduit system is still intact and hasn't rusted significantly then you'll get very low R2 readings compared to the more usual wiring methods , if you are very lucky with the test results then be sure to fit leads from back box to sockets and any other metal accessories.

Yeah aware of that. Didn't get time to check if there was leads, but it is on the list of to do.

If the conduit is no good for cpc, anyone have ang any good tricks or simple ways of pulling in a cpc?

Reply to Comsumer change and nice little extra. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net