Discuss Comsumer unit in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

RJB

Hi

I am about to fit a new consumer unit, i plan to install a split loader one side for power i.e ring,cooker protected by a rcd the other side however i plan to run the lighting straight from the main isolater switch protected by rcbos, will that be ok to do?? plz help

how many lighting circuits - division of installation should be taken into consideration, partp and full set of testing required also.

pretty much all circuits require additional protection via .30ma

Last edited by a moderator:
can't see any problems there, but as ezzzekiel says, test cert and part pee

Ok there are eight circuits: 3x rings (1 kitchen) all 32a, 1x cooker 45a, 1x heating 16a, 3x lighting 6a and 2 spares??

i wouldn't put all 3 rings on 1 RCD .a fault on one ring tripping the \RCD will take out all sockets. instead of rcbo's i would fit dual rcd board with rings split between the 2 and also the lights. i try and split the kitchen ring and it's nearest other ring so un the event of the kitchen ring being down, a temp. supply can be run via extn.lead from next room to power the fridge/freezer. and vice versa, for the TV. as long as the freezer and terlly work, anybody can wait for the fault to be fixed.

other option for not much more money is a split load high integrity board ......Split the rings, 2 on 1 side with the heating, then on the other 1 ring with the cooker then put your 3 lighting circuits on RCBOs. OR you could just put in a little 8b way board all rcbo, I like these and favour this option!

dual split load board, with 2 spare non rcd ways so RCBO's can be installed at a later date for things like smoke alarms or a dedicated fridge/freezer socket. Segregate circuits to minimise inconvenience in case of a fault, i.e, upstairs lights and downstairs sockets on one RCD and down lights/up sockets on other etc etc.

Cheers..........Howard

Reply to Comsumer unit in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net