Discuss Connecting Dual RCD board. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have a 17 way BG consumer unit I have set up with dual RCD. I got the 25mm tail kit, but can work out how to get 2 live tails into the bottom of the main switch to connect to the RCDs. Any ideas please?

Can we have a photo?

normally, the tails go into a main switch, then there are made up tails feeding each of the rcds from the load side of the switch.
These should be included in the consumer unit what purchased.

BG are not the greatest units in the universe, if you have the chance to return it I'd do so and get something decent.
Nothing wrong with dual-rcd boards, but the current fashion is a main switch and a RCBO for each circuit combining RCD and over-current protection for each circuit.
(The Fusebox brand is very popular as not costing the earth but is good quality. )

If i were you i would return it and buy the correct board of a different brand. Or I would use rcbos and abandon the dual RCD plan, bg ones are not that expensive.

Well, I think you can buy a conversion kit which has the right link cables at the right lengths.

your 17 way board will only be 13 when you add in a couple of rcds
I can’t seem to find a kit for dual RCD where the lives are linked. The other thing I’ve noticed is when you bend the tails to fit them it’s difficult to not have exposed copper, as the insulation pulls away. Any idea where you get shrouds from.

not compulsory, but the customer has to "opt out" of having it.

I think Screwfix are trying to sell off their non-spd BG boards on special offers.
Same advert said "buy this, and get 25% off 25mm tails"
Yeh... on blue and brown 6181Y... no mention of the 6491X green/yellow

not compulsory, but the customer has to "opt out" of having it.

I think Screwfix are trying to sell off their non-spd BG boards on special offers.
Same advert said "buy this, and get 25% off 25mm tails"
Yeh... on blue and brown 6181Y... no mention of the 6491X green/yellow
That’s fine, the ”customer“ is me. I’m a newby electrician, so I thought it best to make all the mistakes on my own house first ?

As asked earlier... how many neutral bars are in this bare bones box?

For 2 RCD's, you would need 2 bars... one bar protected by each rcd.

Apologies if this has been answered

Reply to Connecting Dual RCD board. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock