Discuss Connecting to a new supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wistedranks

Hi. This is my first post so if any admin see this, I'm sorry if I'm breaking any rules!

Anyway let's get down to it.

I've recently found myself a nice 1st floor unit to set up a small office in a neglected building (that's taken about 2 weeks to clean up, looked like an indoor skip to begin with). There will be about 15 workstations, a few fluros for lighting, and some heating as I'm thinking it's going to get cold when the winter comes back around. Maybe a small breakout area too, coffee machine / microwave, that kind of thing.

It's powered through some old grid that the landlord seems to think he can charge extortionate rates. But good news is westernpower have brought in a new supply over the other side of the estate - 100 amp fuses? (about 100m away).

So, questions.

Can I get a electric company (eon / npower / whatever) to set up an individual meter for me? Any idea what it would cost?

How much should I expect to pay for cabling (which will probably run along the outside of the building) and installation of the lighting and about 15 wall sockets?

I want a new breaker and repositioned so it's not so annoyingly behind the door. If you've got any idea about cost, please factor that in.

Want all this done within 2 weeks, am I being realistic?

Any input from the professionals here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Wistedranks

No rules broken and welcome to the forum.

Note to members, this is not a DIY question, just a request for advice on costs and timescales etc.

Good luck with your new work space.

Appreciate the welcome, I'll probably be spending a bit of time here till we're sorted.

From what I understand, it's been pulled in to become the new supply for all units on the estate. I assume everyone is supposed to have their individual meters there. Does that make sense?

To register a new supply or meter you would need to ask WPD for an MPAN (Meter Point Administration Number). You would not be allowed to request that without written permission from the land/property owner and you cannot ask EDF (or similar) for a meter without this MPAN.

Thanks, I'll be sure to get the MPAN from the landlord first thing tomorrow. So glad I found this forum, it would've probably taken me a fair while to find that out. Anything else I need to know / any advice on other questions as well?

If the supply has been put in for this purpose then you will have get in touch with the DNO about having a meter installed. You will probably have to get a switch fuse installed at the meter position with the tails hanging out ready to be connected to the new meter. What sort of load are you looking at in your unit?

Thanks, I'll be sure to get the MPAN from the landlord first thing tomorrow. So glad I found this forum, it would've probably taken me a fair while to find that out. Anything else I need to know / any advice on other questions as well?

Sorry mate.

Only WPD can give you that and they will not unless the LL gives you permission.

Load wise we're planning on 15 workstations, 10 of which will be in use 24/7 (virtual office / outsourced customer service desks), and the other 5 will be used between 9 AM and 9 PM. Think they run at 750w each including displays. the breakout area will be in use every now and then too, want to have a tv on 24/7 for everyone. Winter will have those 1.5kw heaters running to keep everyone from turning into ice.

Sorry mate.

Only WPD can give you that and they will not unless the LL gives you permission.

If I'm understanding correctly I should contact the landlord and ask him to get it for me is that correct? Sorry I'm not too clued up as you can probably tell, that's why I'm here. I'm sure I can get a certified electrician to do the job, but I'd like to know what is going on too.

If the supply has been put in for this purpose then you will have get in touch with the DNO about having a meter installed. You will probably have to get a switch fuse installed at the meter position with the tails hanging out ready to be connected to the new meter. What sort of load are you looking at in your unit?

Not sure why my post didn't show, I'll write it again.

So load wise we're looking to have 10 workstations running 24/7 (virtual office / outsourced customer service) and 5 stations running 9 AM till 9PM. They've about 750w including display. Also breakout area coffee machine / microwave will be on for a few times a day I'm guessing, and we'll have a tv on there basically 24/7. And 1.5kw heaters in the winter to stop everyone freezing. Phones at every station too and the fluros.

Not sure why my post didn't show, I'll write it again.

So load wise we're looking to have 10 workstations running 24/7 (virtual office / outsourced customer service) and 5 stations running 9 AM till 9PM. They've about 750w including display. Also breakout area coffee machine / microwave will be on for a few times a day I'm guessing, and we'll have a tv on there basically 24/7. And 1.5kw heaters in the winter to stop everyone freezing. Phones at every station too and the fluros.

Three phase or single phase?

I think the best advice is to get a sparky to come have a look and carry out a survey to see how feasible it all is. There are lots of things to be considered. Have you got a sparky in mind? If not i know of an established member on here who isn't to far from you and he really knows his stuff and could probably price it up for you.

I think the best advice is to get a sparky to come have a look and carry out a survey to see how feasible it all is. There are lots of things to be considered. Have you got a sparky in mind? If not i know of an established member on here who isn't to far from you and he really knows his stuff and could probably price it up for you.

I've had a few electricians come by to assess the scene and they'll be getting back to me with a price tomorrow with a plan of works. I'm in stoke on trent so if you know any professionals local I'll be happy to take their number and give them a call for more advice.

From what they've said when on site, the run for the cable looks fairly straight forward, but one guy was just pulling prices out of the air without me even asking, think he was trying to gage my reaction. Could you possibly provide some guidance on what I should be looking at, just so I know I'm not being unreasonable with price? I'm not afraid of paying for a good and safe electrical installation, but I'm not a fan of being taken for a ride.

I've had a few electricians come by to assess the scene and they'll be getting back to me with a price tomorrow with a plan of works. I'm in stoke on trent so if you know any professionals local I'll be happy to take their number and give them a call for more advice.

From what they've said when on site, the run for the cable looks fairly straight forward, but one guy was just pulling prices out of the air without me even asking, think he was trying to gage my reaction. Could you possibly provide some guidance on what I should be looking at, just so I know I'm not being unreasonable with price? I'm not afraid of paying for a good and safe electrical installation, but I'm not a fan of being taken for a ride.

Without seeing it, it would be foolish for me to try and give any prices. What I will say a lot depends on the designed load. say for instance you wanted an 80amp single phase supply fitted at 100meters, swa cable clipped direct (rough calculation) you could possibly be looking at a 70mm SWA and to buy that it's about £19 a meter. I will PM him your name and this thread so he can PM you if interested when he logs on tomorrow.

Last edited:

Reply to Connecting to a new supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net