Discuss Conservatory lighting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, got a job to connect up some new spotlights in a conservatory. Roof has been replaced and plaster boarded. I'm assuming insulation has also be installed.

Originally the client purchased Enlite Spryte non-fire rated IP44 LED downlights, however I thought that they should be fire rated as they are being recessed into the ceiling, so after a bit of research I found an equivalent model by Lap (CosmoEco - link below). Have been told space is restricted so these were the shallowest ones I could find.

https://www.screwflix..com/p/lap-co...0v/6570x#product_additional_details_container

These are fire rated but only have an IP rating of IP20. Would this be suitable in a conservatory? Obviously it isn't a bathroom so usually this IP rating wouldn't usually be an issue I would assume, but as its a conservatory roof could that be a problem?

Hi - the IP rating is normally from the front face as none of them expect to have water splashed on them from behind :) .

To be honest, I just assumed they would for safety purposes due to insulation in ceiling and to stop the spread of a fire should it occur. It would of been my inclination to purchase fire rated downlights if I'd designed the job.

If its not a requirement then the original downlights they purchased should be fine, however also interested to know if there would be any issues with IP20 lights in a conservatory?

It is worrying that you don't know this information to begin with but are still going ahead with the job. Also LAP is probably the worst readily available brand on the market currently

It is worrying that you don't know this information to begin with but are still going ahead with the job. Also LAP is probably the worst readily available brand on the market currently
Don't worry in a weeks time he will have finished his Electrical Trainee course..........

Only kidding ;o))))

Very helpful mate, thanks.

At the end of the day I'm fitting fire rated downlights which I think is sensible and gives me peace of mind.

Fitted LAP before and never had a problem. I acknowledge there's better brands available but it is what it is.

Out of interest, if a fire was to break out in the conservatory, what do you anticipate your fire rated Downlights will achieve?

Unless there are some mice living up there to save.....

Hopefully burning down the conservatory as then they can build a proper extension.

you can cover JCC V50's with insulation.

At the end of the day I'm fitting fire rated downlights which I think is sensible and gives me peace of mind.

If you want to fit fire rated fittings where they aren't needed because it makes you feel better then that's no problem, as long as you actually understand the regulations and requirements for fire ratings. Otherwise you could end up in a situation where you are telling a customer they can't have non-fire rated fittings they have supplied and then ripping them off by insisting on fitting something else.

The other danger of not understanding is you could fit fire rated downlights where they aren't necessarily needed and go on to completely miss other parts of an installation where you do need to maintain a fire rating and thus create a dangerous situation.

If you want to fit fire rated fittings where they aren't needed because it makes you feel better then that's no problem, as long as you actually understand the regulations and requirements for fire ratings. Otherwise you could end up in a situation where you are telling a customer they can't have non-fire rated fittings they have supplied and then ripping them off by insisting on fitting something else.

The other danger of not understanding is you could fit fire rated downlights where they aren't necessarily needed and go on to completely miss other parts of an installation where you do need to maintain a fire rating and thus create a dangerous situation.

Personally I thought the OP asked a sensible question, I wouldn’t for one minute call him a muppet, I have seen far worse questions asked, fair play for him to ask IMHO, he has been answered by a couple of the replies, cannot believe I am saying this but be gentle with the guy lads, he has done no wrong, muppets police out

Reply to Conservatory lighting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock