Discuss Converting 2-way to 1-way light switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I recently added some smart light switches to my house that were very easy to install and working well. Easy enough as they were all just replacing one way, one gang so wiring was just com and switch live and adding a light module at the ceiling rose. I am wanting to add more smart light switches in the rest of my house, however, these are 2-way. The smart switches need to be connected as 1-way, as the second switch will just be controlled via the wifi using automation. Can anyone confirm that what I intend to do is correct?..

Screenshot 2021-02-22 at 20.35.14.png

The second switch is actually a 2-gang switch and will draw power from another source, just omitted it here for clarity. Just need to know if this is the correct way to convert an existing 2-way into a 1-way: terminating the bridge between com, moving the existing L1 into com and moving the existing SL from L2 to L1 and terminate the other wires. Thanks all.

Be careful here.

I’ve fitted litewaverf (or at least, a customer fitted it, and I had to fix it)
One switch was marked as master, the other slave. The 3 core between the switches was repurposed to carry a live and neutral feed, and an ELV signal.
My customer changed the master, and left the old standard switch, which resulted in 230v being sent along the signal wire and fried the master.

does the switch you have require a neutral?
As your diagram shows a black being used as switchwire, suggesting loop in at ceiling rose (no neutral at switch)

Be careful here.

I’ve fitted litewaverf (or at least, a customer fitted it, and I had to fix it)
One switch was marked as master, the other slave. The 3 core between the switches was repurposed to carry a live and neutral feed, and an ELV signal.
My customer changed the master, and left the old standard switch, which resulted in 230v being sent along the signal wire and fried the master.

does the switch you have require a neutral?
As your diagram shows a black being used as switchwire, suggesting loop in at ceiling rose (no neutral at switch)

Thanks. No neutral at the switches and loop in is at the ceiling rose. The smart switches don't require neutral.

Reply to Converting 2-way to 1-way light switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net