Discuss Cooker cable size 12.9kw cooker in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I doubt it, as 12.9kW is about 56A.
What does the manual say about the installation of it?

Looks like a 50/50 split yes and no.

Diversity has to be taken into account, and there’s an equation for working it out that I won’t go into….

But it boils down to how much of that 12.9 kW can be used, or is likely to be used all at the same time.

The 32A will protect the cable by tripping if it is overloaded.

I would also agree, consult the manual.
Regardless of what the manuel says, you need to ask a, few more questions. Is the cooker to be used ina domestic kitchen or a commercial kitchen? or a commercial kitchen?. If it's domestic, I would have no concerns. They might on the rare occasion have everything on (Xmas) but even then the various heating components tend to cycle in and out and the only time you have the full 56 amps flowing is on initial switch on. Even that can be avoided by staged switching.
If commercial I would say its wise to evaluate the degree of usage. The appliance will be working longer and harder, likely drawing greater current for a longer period of time. A 32 amp breaker may struggle under those circumstances

There's a Zanussi model induction hob cooker that states 12.9Kw. The manual for that one said to connect with 6 sq mm cable and the website said it required a "30 amp fuse".
The manual also clearly stated the power requirements of each of the 4 induction rings. The 3 largest induction rings draw 40A total if all of them are turned on at the same time and have to all reach temperature together. This won't trip a B32 breaker for many minutes if at all. Once things are cycling according to their respective thermostats the current draw will take a nose dive.

So I agree with @LastManOnline and others that in most domestic situations this wouldn't be quite as exciting as it sounds.

Once things are cycling according to their respective thermostats the current draw will take a nose dive.
Had one of my most meaningful lessons in diversity in a wool dying premises a few weeks ago. They used twenty two 5.3 kw electric hobs for "cooking" the wool in its dye. They were in use 8 hours/day. They wanted to install two more. They had 3 x 80 amp supply. A total load of 127 kw. I balked. Gut reaction was "no chance". We discussed contacting the DNO about an increase in supply.
I decided first however to get out my ammeter and conduct some meaningful testing over 2 days for several hours.
I did these tests at peak times of their workday. The highest recorded current rating I got on any phase was 49 amps. My nervousness about installing the extra hobs receded. I did insist though that their usual practice of switching everything on together in the morning when they came in needed to change to a staggered arrangement. Interestingly, even when switching everything on together they never experienced any issues.

In my old place of work when it came to rewiring our building area after many decades of peace and quiet they looked at the previous supply that had a 400A 3-phase switch as incomer and set up a power recorder over a week to see that they needed to do.

The head electrician from estates and buildings was mighty relieved to find we only took about 15-20kW.

The accounts department were not so happy we took 15kW continuously!

I think these modern induction hobs etc. usually have logic built in that limits the overall current draw in clever ways, it's not simple diversity or natural cycling... hence I'd be reading the manual to see what that says.
Correct. Watching an induction hob in operation it's evident that heat management is far superior to the traditional hob. But the major factors in overall current use will be dictated by local circumstances. For instance in the example I gave, they had to use a particular size of metal pot. It basically meant that only 2 rings could be used simultaneousely. The instruction manuel obviously won't contain that kind of information. I was, nt advocating not reading the instruction manuel, rather I wanted to highlight the importance of factoring in additional local factors to arrive at a realistic appraisal of the circumstances on the ground.

Reply to Cooker cable size 12.9kw cooker in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net