Discuss cooker in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
my friend has just moved house and i have re-wired their cooker up but they are now complainin the light and fan does not work. its a hotpoint one? they said the removed the cable so i have put a fresh bit of 6mm in. im not 100% but there is some sort of copper link in place on the live to another terminal but not one on the neutral, maybe it was lost? or maybed there should be one there? does anyone have any idead why the light and fan would not be working?

my friend has just moved house and i have re-wired their cooker up but they are now complainin the light and fan does not work. its a hotpoint one? they said the removed the cable so i have put a fresh bit of 6mm in. im not 100% but there is some sort of copper link in place on the live to another terminal but not one on the neutral, maybe it was lost? or maybed there should be one there? does anyone have any idead why the light and fan would not be working?

Are you referring to the actual fan and light inside the oven?
Also what is the model of the cooker?

Last edited by a moderator:
is it a double oven? whats the total output of the cooker, it will say in the manual..

You say you put a fresh bit of 6mm in? from where to where?? is there a hardwired connection plate on the back of cooker?

What size breaker is the cooker cirrcuit on?

It will be a foreign cooker and when it was disconnected there would have been a copper link between 2 or 3 other terminals, which u will be able to see in the terminal box.
The N is a common one usually, and if you cannot find the copper link, use the 6mm or supply cable and make the links out of that, but its awkward as theres not a lot of room to do it and make sure the clamps are good after as sometimes the terminal clamp on 2x 6mm are not brilliant, double check .

It will be a foreign cooker and when it was disconnected there would have been a copper link between 2 or 3 other terminals, which u will be able to see in the terminal box.
The N is a common one usually, and if you cannot find the copper link, use the 6mm or supply cable and make the links out of that, but its awkward as theres not a lot of room to do it and make sure the clamps are good after as sometimes the terminal clamp on 2x 6mm are not brilliant, double check .

so you reckon that will be the problem? i just need to link out the neutral to the other terminal as the same as the live?

Reply to cooker in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net