Discuss Cordless drill - Dewalt vs Milwaukee in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Milwaukee make several M18 brushless combi drills - as do all the big name brands - so it's difficult to compare without knowing which drill you have in mind. In general the more you pay, the better the drill - although there are plenty of people asking big money for entry level drills.

Probably the best way to answer this question would be to look at stats for each drill, paying particular attention to torque figure and gear/gearbox material. Respective manufacturer websites will likely be the most concise source of such information.

Milwaukee make several M18 brushless combi drills - as do all the big name brands - so it's difficult to compare without knowing which drill you have in mind. In general the more you pay, the better the drill - although there are plenty of people asking big money for entry level drills.

Probably the best way to answer this question would be to look at stats for each drill, paying particular attention to torque figure and gear/gearbox material. Respective manufacturer websites will likely be the most concise source of such information.
Those are the model that at the moment I am looking at:
M18 CBLPD-402C (Milwaukee)
DCD778M2T-SFGB (Dewalt)

DeWalt wins most of the tests on youtube.

I went with them and i'm very happy with everything except the battery chargers which are crap. Just had my 18v XR cordless last 3 weeks on site on a single charge.

The Milwaukee stuff i've used is very good though.

Those are the model that at the moment I am looking at:
M18 CBLPD-402C (Milwaukee)
DCD778M2T-SFGB (Dewalt)
Very little between the two sets.

Both supplied with 2x 4Ah batteries.
Both brushless motors.
Similar specs.

Milwaukee rate their drill for higher capacity in wood and masonry, but that means nothing. Both have metal gearing, which is likely to be some sort of sintered metal - not as strong as forged gearing, but considerable more robust than plastic.

Dewalt produces slightly higher torque, but there isn't a significant difference between it and the Milwaukee.

Neither are top of these manufacturer's respective ranges, but I don't think either drill would disappoint - what colour do you like better, red or yellow? I think that's what it comes down to.

Wait for a decent Makita deal ?

I got one of these sets (as well as a 1/2" impact driver to match, M18ONEIWF12-0 M18) but from another supplier for less at the time:
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/milwa...redlithium-brushless-cordless-twin-pack/133fj
I have found that the impact 1/4" hex impact driver has had most of the use with hex-shank drills and the likes of 20mm / 25mm / 32mm hole saws.

It can be used for screws, etc, as well but you need to be really careful as even on the lowest setting it will trash smaller screws if used without care.

Edit: Think this was the supplier I used:

Wait for a decent Makita deal ?
Controversial statement but imo Makita's battery stuff has been garbage for years now. The actual batteries on them are atrocious and their chucks like to fail. Would never buy again after being a Makita man for over 10 years. They're now in the same league as blue Bosch for me - overpriced rubbish riding on a name.

If wasn't already locked into the DeWalt range i would go for Milwaukee. The advantage they do have is that all the stuff i've used seems very light whereas DeWalt is really heavy.

Controversial statement but imo Makita's battery stuff has been garbage for years now. The actual batteries on them are atrocious and their chucks like to fail. Would never buy again after being a Makita man for over 10 years. They're now in the same league as blue Bosch for me - overpriced rubbish.

Much depends on the tool in question. Makita LXT drills range from the DHP453 with around 40Nm of torque and internals made from cheese, right up to the DHP486 with a wrist shattering 130Nm of torque and all metal gearing - how exactly do you manage to tar these two drills with the one brush?

If I go out tomorrow to B&Q and buy a cheap Dewalt combi, chances are that in 6 months time I'll have destroyed it - on that basis should I declare that all Dewalt tools are garbage? Of course not as these manufacturers are trying to cater to a market that runs from occasional DIYer to seasoned tradesman - if we consider ourselves part of the latter, we should be aware of the old caveat; 'you pays your money and takes your choice'. I'm happy with my Makita choices, as are many others, but plenty would be of different opinion and this is true for all manufacturers. As far as the OP is concerned, I'd like to think I've provided an unbiased opinion of the two drills which they asked about.

As for batteries; I've never felt let down by Makita 5Ah units. Not sure what more I can say other than having disassembled an old Makita battery, I found it contained Sony 18650 cells which were as good as it got at that time.

I replaced all my kit last year with Milwaukee going from Bosch blue, not been disappointed with it. The Milwaukee gear is great and so many options! Having said that a chippie I'm good mates with has bought all Dewalt gear and that is also impressive stuff! I think a lot of it is down to personal preference at the end of the day!

I used to have all Makita gear until I moved over to the Bosch. I think it had started to fall off in quality, this was probably nearly 10years ago now. Couldn't comment on the newer Makita stuff as I don't know anyone who uses it!
Sy

Much depends on the tool in question. Makita LXT drills range from the DHP453 with around 40Nm of torque and internals made from cheese, right up to the DHP486 with a wrist shattering 130Nm of torque and all metal gearing - how exactly do you manage to tar these two drills with the one brush?
Because specs and figures aren't relevant if the batteries don't hold charge and the chucks come loose etc.

What i'm looking for in a tool is that they're reliable so i can actually count on them to work when i need them. No good having 'wrist shattering torque' if the batteries start to die after a dozen cycles or the chucks are coming loose and need replacing. You could argue this is a battery problem but imo a tool is only as good as its battery since without them they are ornaments.

I had the Makita cordless and impact driver, and the circular saw and they were rubbish and real, real expensive. My opinion is based on their top of the range stuff. It's rubbish.

Last edited:
What warranty are they all offering ,.Bosch has 3

Rang them one day with a trigger problem, they sent a courier out to collect next day and he dropped it back again,zero work on my part

Reply to Cordless drill - Dewalt vs Milwaukee in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net