Discuss Cordless drill - Dewalt vs Milwaukee in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Seems Iike those 2 are very similar in their target market anyhow ,base pro level

The Milwaukee combi above twice the torque and probably way better build quality for twice the price

Seems Iike those 2 are very similar in their target market anyhow ,base pro level

The Milwaukee combi above twice the torque and probably way better build quality for twice the price
Imo there's a limit on how much torque you actually need though. It's like people who pull their wires over X BHP in a car or bragging theirs can do 168mph when you can't even go that speed.

For almost any job on site, the torque is going to be just fine on any pro model of combi. Most of us have an SDS for anything bigger anyway.

Imo there's a limit on how much torque you actually need though. It's like people who pull their wires over X BHP in a car or bragging theirs can do 168mph when you can't even go that speed.

For almost any job on site, the torque is going to be just fine on any pro model of combi. Most of us have an SDS for anything bigger anyway.
Well that's right and the impacts can do the tougher work anyway

Because specs and figures aren't relevant if the batteries don't hold charge and the chucks come loose etc.

What i'm looking for in a tool is that they're reliable so i can actually count on them to work when i need them. No good having 'wrist shattering torque' if the batteries start to die after a dozen cycles or the chucks are coming loose and need replacing. You could argue this is a battery problem but imo a tool is only as good as its battery since without them they are ornaments.

I had the Makita cordless and impact driver, and the circular saw and they were rubbish and real, real expensive. My opinion is based on their top of the range stuff. It's rubbish.

You had a bad experience and that's unfortunate, but you've completely ignored every point I made.

What exactly is 'the Makita cordless and impact driver and the circular saw'? You're basically making my point, which is that they make far too many options and this seems to confuse people who have an expectation that all tools are equal, when it is patently obvious that this is not the case.

In honesty, I don't care. Buy whatever tools you're happy with, whether they be Dewalt, Hilti or Mac Allister. The OP asked a question, to which I've hopefully provided a reasonably unbiased answer and that's really what this thread is about.

What warranty are they all offering ,.Bosch has 3

Rang them one day with a trigger problem, they sent a courier out to collect next day and he dropped it back again,zero work on my part

Most manufacturers are offering 3 years now - 1 year out of the box and a 2 more years if registered within 30 days of purchase - even Fatmax tools come with this warranty.

You had a bad experience and that's unfortunate, but you've completely ignored every point I made.
I ignored your point because it was stupid.

When drills fall to absolute bits because they're crap i don't care that it's got better specs on paper, it's still a piece of crap and i won't ever buy them again, which is what happened with Makita. I don't remember the numbers since i sold the lot to someone else but they were the most expensive drills Makita make, which is a point you ignored because it didn't suit your argument. Almost £400 for the pair + 2 batteries and a charger, their top of the range stuff. And it was gash.

I rate my trust in brands based on how that brands manufacturing holds up to scrutiny with daily use. If i buy even a couple of bottom of the range 'professional' tools and they fall to bits then i don't care that their 18v XYZ version has better gearing or more torque, i won't buy their brand again because they are known to me to use crap materials and have rubbish build quality. But you do you.

Makita are rubbish. It doesn't matter whether one of their specific drills is good or not, based on owning several of their products i'm saying that they're garbage and i won't buy them. That's the price companies pay for making shoddy products, which Makita's are in my experience.

I'd tend to agree that for most people huge torque is unnecessary, but those tools tend to be built to a much higher spec. 40Nm is going to get spade bits through 2" of timber, but drills at that level generally have plastic gearing. 80Nm+ is going to do the same job without bothering the drill unnecessarily and 130Nm is going to breeze through effortlessly.

When drills fall to absolute bits because they're crap i don't care that it's got better specs on paper, it's still a piece of crap and i won't ever buy them again, which is what happened with Makita. I don't remember the numbers since i sold the lot to someone else but they were the most expensive drills Makita make, which is a point you ignored because it didn't suit your argument. Almost £400 for the pair + 2 batteries and a charger, their top of the range stuff. And it was gash.

I rate my trust in brands based on how that brands manufacturing holds up to scrutiny with daily use. If i buy even a couple of bottom of the range 'professional' tools and they fall to bits then i don't care that their 18v XYZ version has better gearing or more torque, i won't buy their brand again because they are known to me to use crap materials and have rubbish build quality. But you do you.

Makita are rubbish. It doesn't matter whether one of their specific drills is good or not, based on owning several of their products i'm saying that they're garbage and i won't buy them. That's the price companies pay for making shoddy products, which Makita's are in my experience.

I think we can end this here as it's yet another thread turned sour by some irrational desire to be right and prove everyone else wrong, despite the fact that 'supporting evidence' only materialises when you don't have a point to argue.

I'm primarily here to learn and couldn't care less who makes the 'best' tools (despite my tongue in cheek comment to the OP about Makita). OP's question has been answered and if you have something constructive to add I'm sure they'll be eager to read it.

For informational purposes, here's a video AvE made several years back, as part of a series drawing comparisions between top end Makita, Dewalt & Milwaukee combi drills and his observations are certainly interesting.

I'd draw particular attention to the chucks as Makita have never used plastic chucks on top of the range drills, which is at odds with your claim about owning a £400 Makita combi complete with plastic chuck.

For informational purposes, here's a video AvE made several years back, as part of a series drawing comparisions between top end Makita, Dewalt & Milwaukee combi drills and his observations are certainly interesting.

I'd draw particular attention to the chucks as Makita have never used plastic chucks on top of the range drills, which is at odds with your claim about owning a £400 Makita combi complete with plastic chuck.

Hmm 3 top end combis

Before I see it I'm wondering did he successfully reassemble them

The longevity all power tools be it battery or corded machines can be measured by what is proper use and what is user abuse
Everyone complaining about the longevity of batteries probably leaves them overnight in a cold van or garage during the winter with sub zero temperatures and then they wonder why their batteries prematurely fail
How long any power tool lasts is down to how the user operates it or abuses it treat it with respect and use it within it's limitations and it will give you many years of service abuse it and take the consequences
Karcher is a well known brand if you look at their range of pressure washers they go from budget level up to premium price and you get what you pay for at the lower end they are built to fail after 50 - 60 hours use evidently the average use of a domestic pressure wash is around 24 hours / year
If you want an opinion on power tools my advice would be speak to the guy doing the tool repairs in the workshop at your local independent hire shop also have a look at which manufacturers tools are in their hire fleet as they will be some of the most abused tools you will find

The longevity all power tools be it battery or corded machines can be measured by what is proper use and what is user abuse
Everyone complaining about the longevity of batteries probably leaves them overnight in a cold van or garage during the winter with sub zero temperatures and then they wonder why their batteries prematurely fail
How long any power tool lasts is down to how the user operates it or abuses it treat it with respect and use it within it's limitations and it will give you many years of service abuse it and take the consequences
Karcher is a well known brand if you look at their range of pressure washers they go from budget level up to premium price and you get what you pay for at the lower end they are built to fail after 50 - 60 hours use evidently the average use of a domestic pressure wash is around 24 hours / year
If you want an opinion on power tools my advice would be speak to the guy doing the tool repairs in the workshop at your local independent hire shop also have a look at which manufacturers tools are in their hire fleet as they will be some of the most abused tools you will find
Im kinda of that opinion regarding use of power tools
I posted earlier I've got the Bosch 18v SDS fitted with a 5.5 masonry and it stays in it
Underused but it's an important task and if it does than 1 task indefinitely that's enough for me

Rough work I've other corded stuff that can come out

Im kinda of that opinion regarding use of power tools
I posted earlier I've got the Bosch 18v SDS fitted with a 5.5 masonry and it stays in it
Underused but it's an important task and if it does than 1 task indefinitely that's enough for me

Rough work I've other corded stuff that can come out

I keep a 5.5 bit permanently in a 12V SDS. People laugh at it, but it's light, gets into tight spots and isn't troubled by drilling small holes.

Reply to Cordless drill - Dewalt vs Milwaukee in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net