Discuss Coronavirus - Keeping it light :-) in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

gov.uk suggested a hobby to save getting bored during corona. had to mahe some shelf space for 40 bottles of home brew. can't post image. will try when dan's fixed it.

try this i saved as a pdf: need to upload and scroll. it's a big pic.

Attachments

• brew.pdf
    27.7 MB · Views: 33
in 3 weeks time there will be another brew on the go to replace the ones that get drunk. trouble is , it's PITA sterilising and filling bottles. next brew will be barreled.

Just cook them in the oven to sterilise them, that's all I do.
never thought of that. but 2 problems arise .
1. can't fit 40 bottles in the oven.
2, they'll be red hot so can't handle.

think i'll stick with streilising fluid (pinched from the baby's paraphernalia) and hot water.

Used to make beer back in the 90s worst job the bottling. Few times I have left it a day cos couldn't be bothered but it can turn overnight into vinegar.

never thought of that. but 2 problems arise .
1. can't fit 40 bottles in the oven.
2, they'll be red hot so can't handle.

think i'll stick with streilising fluid (pinched from the baby's paraphernalia) and hot water.

It's the way I've always done it, it's the way my mother used to sterilise jam jars.

They're only hot until they've cooled down! Let them cool and bottle once they're cold.

I avoid sterilising fluids as I don't like the idea of any chemicals hanging around in the bottles.

I've never made beer though, only cider and mead which I try to wild ferment whenever possible so I'm not ever using much in the way of chemicals or additives.

Barrel always seems easier to me. Less hassle.

A good mate of mine has a little distillery in his shed and makes his own spirits. stuff is like rocket fuel when it has been through. he dilutes it down to 40% to make it easier on the throat.
as long as you stay small and dont flog it then apparently you have no need to get a licence from hmrc but may have to inform them

I don't know, I've never made beer, I make mead which needs to age at least 6 months in the bottle but ideally a year or two
I’m joking Dave, I’d imagine it would some settling period?
[automerge]1588966902[/automerge]
A good mate of mine has a little distillery in his shed and makes his own spirits. stuff is like rocket fuel when it has been through. he dilutes it down to 40% to make it easier on the throat.
as long as you stay small and dont flog it then apparently you have no need to get a licence from hmrc but may have to inform them
Moonshine!....mmmmmmmmmm

My brother in law in New Zealand had home brewed spirits when we went over in ‘17
It was dangerous stuff, I was Ill.

one of his mates tried to take a bottle of his whiskey into Australia.... don’t know if he managed it.

Reply to Coronavirus - Keeping it light :-) in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock