Discuss Could anyone please settle an argument? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

Palmer Riley

What is the difference between the 2 RCD sockets pictured? Are they both indoor? Is one indoor and the other outdoor? I have put the manufacturer and model number for them below.

Picture 1 - LGA Selectric SP-RCD2GS
Picture 2 - CED WRCDSSK2

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Could anyone please settle an argument? image - EletriciansForums.net
    image.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 170
  • Could anyone please settle an argument? image - EletriciansForums.net
    image.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 185
both standard indoor .... no IP rated outdoor protection in site... unless you put it in a suitable IP enclosure some are designed to fit with flex seals over the plug leads.

Maybe I'm missing something here. You say you want the info to settle an argument but Palmer Riley are distributors of these products so I'd expect you to be able to answer some arbitrary question about whether the products you sell are suitable for indoor/outdoor use.

What do you normally do when a customer asks this type of question about one of your products?....and please don't say you log onto the nearest electrical forum and post a question ;)

Not the master of disguise I thought I was!

Sorry, I just wanted someone independent to confirm this for me and then be able to provide a link for this to be viewed. What has happened is that a client purchased the CED socket but we sent the LGA socket. Apologies and an offer of a 50% refund were made. He insisted though that the CED socket was an outdoor version and as such the one we sent would not do. What I think has happened is the socket he is changing was the CED standard socket in a weatherproof enclosure but he is refusing to accept this. I have since refunded him in full and sent him a returns envelope.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I'm missing something here. You say you want the info to settle an argument but Palmer Riley are distributors of these products so I'd expect you to be able to answer some arbitrary question about whether the products you sell are suitable for indoor/outdoor use.

What do you normally do when a customer asks this type of question about one of your products?....and please don't say you log onto the nearest electrical forum and post a question ;)

Tut, tut........stall on the outside market would suit.

Not the master of disguise I thought I was!

Lol, you're absolutely terrible. Any self respecting master of disguise at least uses a false name.

Don't worry you're not alone, I caught someone from another wholesaler, yesss another one last month attempting to pull a fast one and I've caught most major wholesalers trying their luck one way or another. At least you didn't post your advertising links or bad-mouth the competition.

You're welcome to hang around the forum and address product questions or concerns or even seek advice but please no direct advertising and links etc.

In answer to you question it's the enclosure that would dictate the IP rating of a socket so you could sell either item you've shown as completely submersible as long as it was sold with an enclosure that was IP 68. Without an enclosure both items would be IP22 I would guess unless they state otherwise in the instructions so only suitable for indoor use.

rather than trying to look up the sockets for a indoor/outdoor tag you should look up the definitions of IP rating levels and you will see as stand alone units they cant comply for outdoor use unless in a suitable enclosure ... if rain or any other water source got onto a plug in this unit it could make the cover live with rcd protection or worse seap inside and bridge to the unprotected live parts.

You're welcome to hang around the forum and address product questions or concerns or even seek advice but please no direct advertising and links etc.

Thank you, I will. I spent a good hour or so reading some threads with great interest. It gives us a good in-sight into what people like and more so what they don't. I can assure you I would never blatantly plug our products. We do a good range of weatherproof RCD sockets though...

rather than trying to look up the sockets for a indoor/outdoor tag you should look up the definitions of IP rating levels and you will see as stand alone units they cant comply for outdoor use unless in a suitable enclosure ... if rain or any other water source got onto a plug in this unit it could make the cover live with rcd protection or worse seap inside and bridge to the unprotected live parts.

Could try relieving himself on them......inside or out.

I am having a blonde moment Marvo help me out mate what is the crack with this thread and who is the op and is he a supplier, just a bit confused????
If I am reading right, the op is a supplier and come on here to ask a question about his own product, using the company name trying to disguise himself.
If this is true then the only advice I can offer the op is, Don't ever start a life of crime or try to become a spy!!!!

This sounds a bit like advertising to me!

Not at all! As I stated earlier, I just wanted to have my point proven by some industry experts. My intention was to send him a link to the thread so he could see that I was right with what I had told him. I was never in any doubt as to what the correct answer was, I just wanted this confirmed by professional electricians. I don't think I will do that though now as it will probably only inflame the situation. Some of the replies were are fairly blunt and to the point that infers only someone simple would need to ask for clarification.

It is always here though in case he sends me an email as insulting as he did this morning though!

welcome to the world of arsehole customers. we sparks get them all the time.

Just hit the thank button , it will make his day, he's a bit vain like that,just don't tell him I said that

wire it up to a bit of 3 core with a plug on and put it outside in the rain or chuck it in a bucket...........Its a joke

I am having a blonde moment Marvo help me out mate what is the crack with this thread and who is the op and is he a supplier, just a bit confused????
If I am reading right, the op is a supplier and come on here to ask a question about his own product, using the company name trying to disguise himself.
If this is true then the only advice I can offer the op is, Don't ever start a life of crime or try to become a spy!!!!
Yeah, I was also a bit confused. The usual rogue suppliers we get who post their advertising links or give their one-sided opinions on products or on other suppliers usually do so underhandedly using an assumed name. I usually catch them by running IP lookup's etc and they get banned or I drag their name through the mud as soon as they're discovered.

The OP is a supplier but isn't using an assumed name and hopefully didn't come with a hidden agenda, like I said he's welcome to stay and contribute if he likes.

I don't have an issue with suppliers who aren't forum sponsors as long as they're up-front about who they are and as long as they respect the forum advertising rules, they can be a useful source of product info for other forum members and I'm sure the info and opinions voiced on the forum can be of use to them.

I think I mentioned this before but my local eddies, they are great but once I went in and asked for a dimplex bathroom down flow heater, and they sold me a dimplex down flow heater that was IP2X, so not exactly suitable, I didn't realise till I got home, I took it back and ordered an ip rated version, admittedly it looked identical on the outside. But the point to the story was that they advise people to buy the wrong products due to lack of knowledge and understanding, which is similar to this as someone doesn't know if it's weatherproof or not.

Reply to Could anyone please settle an argument? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock