Discuss Could anyone please settle an argument? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I think it depends on the supplier and whether he's a wholesaler or a retailer. If he's a wholesaler he should be able to provide product specifications upon request so the customer can make an informed decision, if he's retailing then wet-nursing the customers comes with the territory. Likewise a wholesaler should be offering far better prices and selling in volume because his customers are trade and should know what they want and how to install it correctly, retailers are more likely to get after-sales complaints and queries and even failed product returns because of customer ignorance and their higher list price would cover this.

I think I mentioned this before but my local eddies, they are great but once I went in and asked for a dimplex bathroom down flow heater, and they sold me a dimplex down flow heater that was IP2X, so not exactly suitable, I didn't realise till I got home, I took it back and ordered an ip rated version, admittedly it looked identical on the outside. But the point to the story was that they advise people to buy the wrong products due to lack of knowledge and understanding, which is similar to this as someone doesn't know if it's weatherproof or not.

With respect, if you read all of my posts I knew the answer to the question. My ulterior motive was to have professional tradesmen confirm what I had told the client was correct. As a side note, he has actually seen this thread whilst doing some digging online today and has just sent me an amusing email and signed it 'Arsehole customer' so full marks have to be give to him in the sense of humour stakes!

Yep UK, I have had to explain things in Eddys too such as what class two double insulated means. Which I don't mind doing to some whipper snapper, but on that occasion the Eddys lad was an old hand.

To the OP, any leccy should be able to tell that ain't suitable for outside with hardly a sideways glance, so your customer is beyond stupid. That's you yes you if you are reading this! We all have our moments I guess.

Nice one Stevey, haha!

Last edited:
With respect, if you read all of my posts I knew the answer to the question. My ulterior motive was to have professional tradesmen confirm what I had told the client was correct. As a side note, he has actually seen this thread whilst doing some digging online today and has just sent me an amusing email and signed it 'Arsehole customer' so full marks have to be give to him in the sense of humour stakes!

Hi All,

I a newbie to the forum and also I am said "arsehole customer" :)

OK lets put this thread to bed.

I ordered part number WRCDSSK2 and was sent part number SP-RCD2GS. I noticed straight away that there was a difference in the 2 units and the part I ordered has 3 BS numbers where as the part I received only has 2. And lets be honest, when you order a certain part number you expect that part or one completely IDENTICAL.
I rang up The OP to discuss that these were different parts (i must point out it was early morning and not had much sleep) and basically I was suggestion that wrcdssk2, because of the extra BS rating, was somehow more suitable for outdoor use. The OP stated they were exactly the same product and consequently quite a heated argument ensued.

One thing led to another and although the OP tried to calm me down with a half refund, I demanded a full refund and the product to be picked up by supplier to be returned, because I had lost faith in them really knowing what they were selling. In defense of the OP i had a full refund within a matter of hours and a return envelope was sent.

I was asked to photograph the backs of both units to show OP what the differences were but was unable to do this. So I had a look online to try and find photos but instead found this thread.

OK, now on further inspection I noticed that the 2 units have different dimensional specs. The plug sockets are located in different parts of the front plate. This meant that the plugs didnt line up with the housing which came originally with the part wrcdssk2.

So, although I was initially arguing the wrong point, outdoor use. ( I am no sparky and have never claimed to be) I was still right in the fact that the parts are different hence the different part numbers and British Standard numbers.

At the end of the day both myself and the OP have learned something, laughed it off and got on with our day. And I respected the fact that he tried to do some research (even though i feel it was fueled to prove himself right) but It still leaves me without a WRCDSSK2 and being a bank holiday I am screwed til tuesday!!. The part needed is for power to a polytunnel and basically my life is becoming a nightmare without it.

Anyways. Apologies to OP for being an arsehole but I think he understands why I was and has learned not to list items with part numbers they dont have. I would also suggest to use photos of the right part too. :)

Anyways, Ill get over it, lets just hope the plants do.

Happy Bank Hols Peeps!!

Jez

To the OP, any leccy should be able to tell that ain't suitable for outside with hardly a sideways glance, so your customer is beyond stupid. That's you yes you if you are reading this! We all have our moments I guess.

Hi All I am the said "arsehole customer" and, although I can deal with being an arsehole, i refuse to be called beyond stupid :)

OK, it was early in the morning after not much sleep and after receiving the wrong part number to what I ordered (wrcdssk2) and basically the backs of the units look different and the unit I order has 3 British standard numbers and the part I received only 2. I assumed (I know....the mother of all. But I am no sparky) that the extra BS number was due to some sort of outdoor rating. I was wrong, on that front. BUT in hindsight, the 2 parts are different spec. The plugs sockets are located in different locations meaning that it won't line up with the housing.

The argument between me and the OP really kicked off because they sell both the item I ordered and the item I received. Both of which have their respective part numbers and a difference in price (you guessed it. I got the cheaper one) and I still received the wrong part. My point was they were different and I was basically being treated as being stupid and they are identical but from different manufacturers. They are not IDENTICAL!!! so a HARSH not RUDE email was sent.

But I have been refunded very quickly and a return envelope is on its way so the OP has done his part and I respect that.

The problem is its Bank Holiday and I am still left without a WRCDSSK2 which is for power in the poly tunnel. Although I can wait for tuesday to find the infamous socket, I am not so sure the plants will love me for it. Hence my pain.

This is the second time, different company, I have had problems with suppliers not knowing all the facts about what the are selling, which is worrying when it comes to electrics. This was another reason for refusal to budge from a full refund and item to be picked up. Like I have stated I am no leccy, and I used to trust suppliers to have the knowledge I don't (notice the past tense there) But If the right part number was sent there would have never been a problem.

Anyhow, hope that puts this ordeal to bed :)

ATB all and have a great Bank Holiday!!

A-hole
AKA Jez

If you are not an Electrician as you say, then why are you fitting sockets!!!

" what we have here is a lack of communication" ( prison governor to paul newman, cool hand luke )

Hi All,

I a newbie to the forum and also I am said "arsehole customer" :)
It wasn't me who called you an a-hole....honest :)

I ordered part number WRCDSSK2 and was sent part number SP-RCD2GS. I noticed straight away that there was a difference in the 2 units and the part I ordered has 3 BS numbers where as the part I received only has 2.
The thing with BS numbers and ISO numbers for that matter is you've got to know which standard they're referring to for them to mean anything. Manufacturers usually stamp their products with the most relevant ones but there's no reason a product can't have dozens of BS numbers stamped on it but they tend to get meaningless. For example there's a BS that refers to the dimensions of the plug/socket pins and how they're arranged but there's also a BS for the amount of recycled plastic being used in the product. Most manufacturers would indicate the first one but omit to stamp it with the second one because the vast majority of customers wouldn't see it as being relevant to making their purchase choice. What I'm trying to illustrate is that the number of BS stamps on a product isn't necessarily relevant, the thing that indicates suitability for outdoor use is the IP rating.

OK, now on further inspection I noticed that the 2 units have different dimensional specs. The plug sockets are located in different parts of the front plate. This meant that the plugs didnt line up with the housing which came originally with the part wrcdssk2.
The outer dimensions probably aren't covered by any of the BS numbers stamped on the products.

This is the second time, different company, I have had problems with suppliers not knowing all the facts about what the are selling, which is worrying when it comes to electrics.
Suppliers will never know all the facts about their products, I'd expect an electrical supplier to know the electrical facts, IP ratings and temperature ratings but they're never going to know things like whether they fit precisely in different enclosures or back-boxes same as they won't know the exact colour or whether the thing is made from ABS or PVC for example.

I think the problem is just lack of understanding and communication by both parties. I don't think the supplier was incorrect to tell you that these products are essentially the same item because to most intents and purposes and electrically speaking they are. I also don't think your concerns about the differing dimensions and certifications are misplaced either, I guess the more important thing is that fact that it's resolvable without the relationship breaking down.

the other thing about electrical wholesalers is as long as the product isnt rendered unsellable by the buyer then they will usually swap the item no questions asked.

Selling online you are bound by 'Distance selling regulations' and you have to accept returns upto 14 days after the date of sale. We have a 30 day policy but I know eBay have an option for 60 days!

Selling online you are bound by 'Distance selling regulations' and you have to accept returns upto 14 days after the date of sale. We have a 30 day policy but I know eBay have an option for 60 days!

yes but if the buyer has broken the item then it is not covered under the distance selling regulations.

if you knock a glass off a table and it shatters and try to get your money back through the distance selling regulations you will be laughed at

If you are not an Electrician as you say, then why are you fitting sockets!!!

Its changing an outdoor socket (inside polytunnel) from a (2.5mm arctic blue cable I believe) extension cable than runs from an internal plug with an extra RCD on it. Its all unplugged and its 2 screws and 3 wires. I ordered the exact same part I was replacing. Where's the problem??

When I say Im not an electrician, Im not one, its not my trade, but I know how to wire a plug :)

You'd be amazed with what we get sent back!

Amazed, eh. I can't wait to get this returns envelope ;)

In all seriousness. I was wrong with my argument but its turned out the part is slightly different so not appropriate for use anyhow. It all would have turned out the same, minus the slightly heated argument haha.

No hard feelings just try not to laugh at your customers on the phone. You never know, you may get some arsehole thats had little sleep and a stressful week and he may feel slightly belittled :)

ATB

Amazed, eh. I can't wait to get this returns envelope ;)

In all seriousness. I was wrong with my argument but its turned out the part is slightly different so not appropriate for use anyhow. It all would have turned out the same, minus the slightly heated argument haha.

No hard feelings just try not to laugh at your customers on the phone. You never know, you may get some arsehole thats had little sleep and a stressful week and he may feel slightly belittled :)

ATB

having read that. i assume the arctic cable is fitted with a plug. in which case an extension socket ( same as you get on an extension lead, 2 way or 4 way) could be fitted to the arctic cable and enclosed in a weatherproof box. loike this:

download.jpg

Oh Dear.

We're not a call centre, we are real people based in our ************ office who are full of knowledge about our products and would be delighted to help you.

Reply to Could anyone please settle an argument? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net