Discuss Could anyone please settle an argument? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The RCD in the house will trip before the one in the socket due to the accumulated earth leakage on the installation biasing the house RCD to trip first.

The test button on the RCD only tests the mechanical operation of the RCD, it does not confirm that it will disconnect in the correct time.

How do you know that your cable is better than a standard extension cable? all of our standard extension cables are made from HO7-RNF flex which is a hell of a lot tougher than any arctic!
And are you sure it is true arctic cable and not just blue coloured PVC flex? A few years ago manufacturers started selling a lot of blue PVC flex as being arctic grade when it is not, this is one of the reasons arctic is no longer allowed for extension leads in temporary power.

Clearly I am wrong, stupid and apparently insanely dangerous, and I apologise for riling everyone up over this matter.

If I can explain myself again and then someone clearly point out to me the error of my ways I would really appreciate it.

I didnt think I was that dumb and I am still struggling with this a bit. I feel I have explained myself to be a bit blaze, when thats not really how I meant it.

OK, lets say I wanted to hoover my car, trim the hedge, edge the lawn, mow etc with some form of electrical appliance. Rather than using a standard extension cable on a reel (like you get from a local diy store) without any RCD device on it. I have made a cable out of arctic blue 2.5mm (which it definitely is)both ends are ferruled. one end is a plug, the other end is IP65 enclosure with wrcdssk2 socket (this end housed in polytunnel to keep out of the weather) and i basically plug it in when I need to use it and its plugged into a fitted internal RCD socket (not fitted by me).

What is the difference between what I am doing/done and using an extension reel? or are both a stupid idea?

The reason I said about the RCD test not being necessary is because you can buy non rcd outdoor rated sockets in the IP65 housing. Is this allowed to be sold like this?

If this is such bad practice why the hell I am able to easily get the parts etc?

Surely you can see how I have got into this situation. And I am asking nicely for someone to explain it too me. If I am as close to death as you say, its not too much to ask is it?

To be honest it sounds like a decent extension cable and it is RCD protected and used with care. Nothing different to what I do when I'm hovering the car, etc. We need to be careful or otherwise we will be telling people to get a sparky in to put 13A plug-tops on. Tin hat on and firmly strapped - you won't hurt me! Daz

Last edited:
To be honest it sounds like a decent extension cable and it is RCD protected and used with care. Nothing different to what I do when I'm hovering the car, etc. We need to be careful or otherwise we will be telling people to get a sparky in to put 13A plug-tops on. Tin hat on and firmly strapped - you won't hurt me! Daz

This is exactly my thinking. It can't be right though, because why is everyone on my case?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sort of pointless and no discrimination. But not dangerous. And safer than half the extension cables in use without RCDs at all which I see all the time.

2 is better than 1, extra safety. or just pointless?

From your description it is not clear if your outdoor socket is fixed or used as a trailing socket if it is the later and is subjected to knocks and drops then I would think it will be quite pointless as it's calibration will be out

From your description it is not clear if your outdoor socket is fixed or used as a trailing socket if it is the later and is subjected to knocks and drops then I would think it will be quite pointless as it's calibration will be out

Its mounted on a purpose built fixed wooden frame so to keep it off the ground

Sort of pointless and no discrimination. But not dangerous. And safer than half the extension cables in use without RCDs at all which I see all the time.

OK, so its gone from death knocking at my door, to not being dangerous and far safer than what most people use.

I see you are a qualified electrician, yes?

have my previous explanations been that bad?

Thanks for trying to clarify what I thought was just common sense

But there will be gaps in his electrical knowledge - he's a customer not a sparky. But using an extension cable or fitting a plug is not beyond anyone with a bit of common sense. Tin hat again, etc. Daz

To ask this question rather demonstrates gaps in your knowledge.

to answer a question with a question and then reply with a 'I know more than you statement' with no explanation, means those gaps will remain.

I am trying to get information, yet maybe your wholly than thou chair is too high for you to reach all the keys and type a useful answer.

I’m surprised some of the forum sponsors haven’t complained about this thread.

I can confirm that we've had no noticeable spikes in the amount of orders received since the starting of this thread. I'm not sure who the forum sponsors are but I don't think they'll be losing too much sleep!

I can confirm that we've had no noticeable spikes in the amount of orders received since the starting of this thread. I'm not sure who the forum sponsors are but I don't think they'll be losing too much sleep!

Maybe you need to improve your "I.P."range of accessories :teeth_smile:

Boydy

to answer a question with a question and then reply with a 'I know more than you statement' with no explanation, means those gaps will remain.

I am trying to get information, yet maybe your wholly than thou chair is too high for you to reach all the keys and type a useful answer.
You see this forum is supposed to be for practicing electricians and if we spoon feed information to any Tom, Dick or A Hole who wins - not us.

To be honest if I were a MOD I would have given you an temporary ban a while back for your inappropriate use of the forum, but I'm not, so time to get my coat

You'll run up quite a bill while its waiting.

Not sure what you expect on here - or are you just a knxb?

You know why I am on here you have read the thread. During which I have ask a few questions hoping for a few friendly answers but over the last day or so I have only come to "expect" uppity replies from sparkles with sanctimonious attitudes.

End of thread I feel

Reply to Could anyone please settle an argument? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net