Discuss Could anyone please settle an argument? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Oh Dear.

We're not a call centre, we are real people based in our ************ office who are full of knowledge about our products and would be delighted to help you.

Again, with the greatest respect you have not read all of the thread. I knew the answer to the original question, I wanted it to be confirmed independently. The mistake we made was that we sent out the wrong manufacturer of the correct part.

Again, with the greatest respect you have not read all of the thread. I knew the answer to the original question, I wanted it to be confirmed independently. The mistake we made was that we sent out the wrong manufacturer of the correct part.

They do the same thing, but they are not the same part. The plug sockets are located in different places. Meaning if someone needs the crappy wrcdssk2 he will need to spend all day tracking one down, eventually finding one in scotland!!.

Can anyone answer why the bloody hell did they (can i mention the manufacturer on here, sure you know who) decide to be the only socket manufacturer to put the sockets slightly under the screws, when all the other specs are identical!? did they have a bad day last thing on friday and then think "oh....that'll do". And is the wrcdssk2 becoming obselete??

Anyway. I be glad to get this situation over with TBH.

Apologies to the OP for any grievances caused. Hope you recorded the phone call for training purposes :)

They do the same thing, but they are not the same part. The plug sockets are located in different places. Meaning if someone needs the crappy wrcdssk2 he will need to spend all day tracking one down, eventually finding one in scotland!!.

Can anyone answer why the bloody hell did they (can i mention the manufacturer on here, sure you know who) decide to be the only socket manufacturer to put the sockets slightly under the screws, when all the other specs are identical!? did they have a bad day last thing on friday and then think "oh....that'll do". And is the wrcdssk2 becoming obselete??

Anyway. I be glad to get this situation over with TBH.

Apologies to the OP for any grievances caused. Hope you recorded the phone call for training purposes :)

Would you be able to send me a photo of the enclosure that it needs to go into?

Would you be able to send me a photo of the enclosure that it needs to go into?

Im sorry I cant ATM. left the phone out in the rain last week so using the old one. That was my only means of taking a photo. Same reason didnt send one of the back of the unit, which is slightly different but in appearance only it seems.

Basically if you look at the pics you posted at the start of this thread, you will see the sockets are slightly under the screws on the wrcdssk2. The housing I have corresponds to this layout. Which means any other socket with a normal layout wont allow the housing to close, rendering the whole thing useless.

I am starting to wish I just brought a whole new housing etc. would have saved me a lot of time and money. Oh well. c'est la vie.

This is obviously where the problem is, the original socket and backbox were manufactured as a matched pair and not designed to accommodate other sockets of similar form factor. It's not unusual, manufacturers do it to encourage you to purchase their sockets in future because they know the back-box is often mounted in the wall and is difficult to replace.

Im sorry I cant ATM. left the phone out in the rain last week so using the old one. That was my only means of taking a photo. Same reason didnt send one of the back of the unit, which is slightly different but in appearance only it seems.

Basically if you look at the pics you posted at the start of this thread, you will see the sockets are slightly under the screws on the wrcdssk2. The housing I have corresponds to this layout. Which means any other socket with a normal layout wont allow the housing to close, rendering the whole thing useless.

I am starting to wish I just brought a whole new housing etc. would have saved me a lot of time and money. Oh well. c'est la vie.

Is it similar to this enclosure?

IP65 WEATHERPROOF GARDEN HEAVY DUTY 13A DOUBLE SWITCHED SOCKET WITH NEONS SS65-D

Have you now sourced the offending socket?

Its changing an outdoor socket (inside polytunnel) from a (2.5mm arctic blue cable I believe) extension cable than runs from an internal plug with an extra RCD on it. Its all unplugged and its 2 screws and 3 wires. I ordered the exact same part I was replacing. Where's the problem??

When I say Im not an electrician, Im not one, its not my trade, but I know how to wire a plug :)

Don't forget the ferrules for the end of the flex.

And of course to carry out the correct tests after you have fitted the new socket, especially the correct RCD test. RCD's are notoriously unreliable, especially those cheap socket ones, and unless it is tested properly to prove that it trips in time to save someone life if the worst should happen you had better assume it won't work.

You are quite right it is only 3 wires, but it only takes one of them to kill a healthy adult!

Don't forget the ferrules for the end of the flex.

And of course to carry out the correct tests after you have fitted the new socket, especially the correct RCD test. RCD's are notoriously unreliable, especially those cheap socket ones, and unless it is tested properly to prove that it trips in time to save someone life if the worst should happen you had better assume it won't work.

You are quite right it is only 3 wires, but it only takes one of them to kill a healthy adult!

I do have a healthy respect for electricity, as I do for people warning others of the dangers. Thanks.

I have already put ferrules on. Its been running for over a year. Im just replacing the socket like for like.

I do have a healthy respect for electricity, as I do for people warning others of the dangers. Thanks.

I have already put ferrules on. Its been running for over a year. Im just replacing the socket like for like.

Hi arsehole :tounge_smile: I didn't reply the other day as I didn't want to get into it , but dave as a very good point, if your not an electrician, then do you have the correct test equipment to test once you replace the unit. it may be like for like but remember you now become the last person to touch it.God forbid anything went wrong, it would be your door they come knocking on.

Good start, now what are you going to do to test that RCD before allowing anyone to use the socket (including you)

Hi arsehole :tounge_smile: I didn't reply the other day as I didn't want to get into it , but dave as a very good point, if your not an electrician, then do you have the correct test equipment to test once you replace the unit. it may be like for like but remember you now become the last person to touch it.God forbid anything went wrong, it would be your door they come knocking on.

Who's coming knocking on my door, now?

The RCD isn't really necessary. I just had that for caution. Its just a glorified extension cable, just saves me reeling it up everyday. And the plug end becomes waterproof when the housing is closed for extra safety. I even have higher spec cable than you would get on a normal extension lead.

No I havent got the correct test equipment for the RCD but as I mentioned the Rcd is not a necessity. I will test it with the test switch. The main reason for the rcd is not to trip the house.

I know you can never be too careful with this stuff. And I want to stress I never touch any electrics in the house, besides being illegal I wouldnt want to go near it.

I guess my point is, is that I know what I have is a lot safer than a standard extension cable. And i feel that a call out and testing isnt really necessary. wouldnt it be like needing someone qualified to plug in an extension cable?

I am really trying my hardest not to comes across a s an arsehole haha but its my name after all :p

Im just trying to get my point across or at least, my thought process.

Thanks

The RCD isn't really necessary. I just had that for caution. Its just a glorified extension cable, just saves me reeling it up everyday. And the plug end becomes waterproof when the housing is closed for extra safety. I even have higher spec cable than you would get on a normal extension lead.

No I havent got the correct test equipment for the RCD but as I mentioned the Rcd is not a necessity. I will test it with the test switch. The main reason for the rcd is not to trip the house.

I know you can never be too careful with this stuff. And I want to stress I never touch any electrics in the house, besides being illegal I wouldnt want to go near it.

I guess my point is, is that I know what I have is a lot safer than a standard extension cable. And i feel that a call out and testing isnt really necessary. wouldnt it be like needing someone qualified to plug in an extension cable?

I am really trying my hardest not to comes across a s an arsehole haha but its my name after all :p

Thanks

And how is the RCD socket going to stop the house tripping then?

Thanks
I'd quit while I was ahead (only in your own mind of course.)

Thanks

The RCD in the house will trip before the one in the socket due to the accumulated earth leakage on the installation biasing the house RCD to trip first.

The test button on the RCD only tests the mechanical operation of the RCD, it does not confirm that it will disconnect in the correct time.

How do you know that your cable is better than a standard extension cable? all of our standard extension cables are made from HO7-RNF flex which is a hell of a lot tougher than any arctic!
And are you sure it is true arctic cable and not just blue coloured PVC flex? A few years ago manufacturers started selling a lot of blue PVC flex as being arctic grade when it is not, this is one of the reasons arctic is no longer allowed for extension leads in temporary power.

You see it all the time on trade counters customers with a lack of knowledge and an "it's only" attitude wanting to increase the risk element to their lives and others innocently associated with them and this is just another one of them.

While the customer may have a gripe over not being supplied the exact part ordered he can see from his own quest to source the exact part that it is not always that easy when there are numerous reasons why suppliers may not always have stock and will offer an alternative to get the job up and running.

As to A-Hole's attitude to testing if he ends up in a box due to his own negligence then would it be reasonable to say "The customer wasn't always right" some people don't realise that "death can be fatal"

Reply to Could anyone please settle an argument? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net